Value of salvage?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Vala

Re: Value of salvage?

Post by Vala »

Nah we don't have anything like that around here, its pretty rural.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

what you could do is all of the above.
first take photos and do a description. email them to any old house parts places that might buy them. if they aren't interested then post it on craigslist under materials at a fair price. If no results after a couple of weeks donate to habitat for humanity , that is a good place for them to go and helps others. or put them on craigslist free. Im one who watches what's free in my area and I often re-use stuff obtained that way to stretch my budget and because I dont' like adding new parts.
If i put ads on craigslist I always put the clause "email with your phone number and best time to call" on the ad. that way if I don't' get their phone number I don't' usually bother with them. If they give their phone number and you call them and they answer then they are much less likely to be a no show. and if they do then you can call and ask where they are. also I only give them my approximate address until i am pretty satisfied with their correspondence usually I just give the cross street and say I wont' give the house adress until you are on your way because I dont' like waiting for people from craigslist and so many don't show so now I do it that way. . there are a lot who will email and are not serious and that's just a big run around and waste of your time. giving stuff like that away brings you into contact with other old house owners and that can be great for local networking. Ive met lots of very kind nice people who just don't want their old door or whatever to go to the dump. If I give stuff away I consider it paying it forward.

you may also have old house societies or know others you can trade with. In my family , with my brothers we regularly visit each other and do a walk through each others places and take stock of this stuff and we trade around what we have. Ideally a good network of people that do this can help lots and maximize what you use and minimize space. I tend to give them the sales pitch when they visit and I love to see them leave with mudflaps dragging ;-)

old doors have nice fir and its usually full dimension or something thicker than a regular old 2x4. these are good for window sills , thresholds , etc. especially the side with the hinges and no holes. If you chuck doors save this part and you can always cut it smaller on the tablesaw or slice it so you aren't doing a lot of painstaking stripping. it's usually knot free edge grain old growth lumber and it's very stable. perfect if you want to make windows or other projects.

I also have 4 really nice doors that are leaded glass squares. they are all similar. one only need so many doors and they take space but these ones I got free , no paint. I might use them some of the glass but they are kinda too nice to just cut up. The old house places want lots for nice ones. I might use some to close in my washer and dryer.

if you have unwanted sashes, you could see if you have a guy that does stained glass. often people do stained glass and hang them on hooks in front of their cheesy plastic windows and reminisce about the good old days when everything wasn't plastic garbage.. You;ll see this sort of thing in restaurants that want to add a little ambiance, it's really common here.

Ive been to lots of antque auctions and any window with stained glass seems to sell, antique stores love them. I could tell by the prices they pay at auction that they are in demand.

In the old house place near me someone is doing stained glass and putting it in old sashes and they sell them as if they are something old , at about 400 bucks apiece ! I think a lot of people who buy them think they are antique but only the frames are old, the stained glass is someones modern artwork. if you know windows you can tell the difference but they are quite convincing. a guy that does stained glass may want them and some do courses so they can give students a frame to work on or maybe they store them because when people come in with really rotted ones they might re-use them.

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

I live in a city but the limit with the ex was to drive 2 hours each way to get a thing from Craigslist. We went all over the place, and scored some great stuff for good prices. I realize that we were not the norm - but there are definitely others cut from the same cloth.

A friend from 25 years ago (before the internet) had a friend who was a picker. He would drive 1/3 across the country(Canada - it's a big one) to gather up stuff to sell to antique dealers in several cities.

Those big city salvage places are buying low and selling high. Even if you wind up GIVING most of your hoard to a dealer, who will sell it, at least it's kept out of the landfill.

SarahFair
Knows the back streets

Post by SarahFair »

I was going to mention antique malls night take them on commission (not your super high end) or a auction that deals in antiques can do windows doors and the like. I don't know if they'd want to deal with flooring though.