Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 pm

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
District_Clerk
Site Admin

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Post by District_Clerk »

Looking back through my notes, that date was the install date for the software behind the District. It represents the date when we officially decided to make this thing real. This time last year we were franticly finishing the framing and getting the lath nailed up in time for the grand opening. So it is not quite the date that represents the anniversary of the site, that will be in a couple of days or so.

Be on the look out for further announcements, there will be a celebration of sorts.

In the meantime I'd like to hear your feedback on what we could add to the site, what ideas you might have, how you might change it, etc.? Blue sky a bit for me :)

Duffy666
Knows the area

Re: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Post by Duffy666 »

Congrats on the anniversary!
Searchable photo section would be great...eventually. :thumbup:

How to do that...I'm not sure, and I know it takes a lot of server space but would be a useful resource. Imho
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Duffy666 wrote:Congrats on the anniversary!

How to do that...I'm not sure, and I know it takes a lot of server space but would be a useful resource. Imho

Thanks Duffy666, funnily enough another member was just asking for this. I will look into it once again - the issue is not server space (they say we are unlimited), but finding some software that integrates nicely with that which we use for the forum.
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Is there a way to add links to "your posts", "new posts", "unread posts", "unanswered posts", and "active topics" to the "Jump To" at the bottom of a thread page one is reading?

I'd use the jump feature a lot more if so.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Lily left the valley wrote:Is there a way to add links to "your posts", "new posts", "unread posts", "unanswered posts", and "active topics" to the "Jump To" at the bottom of a thread page one is reading?

Thats just the way that they chose to do it in the software we use, those links are there on every page, just up the top... but guessing you know that already
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Mick_VT wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:Is there a way to add links to "your posts", "new posts", "unread posts", "unanswered posts", and "active topics" to the "Jump To" at the bottom of a thread page one is reading?

Thats just the way that they chose to do it in the software we use, those links are there on every page, just up the top... but guessing you know that already

Thankies. I wondered if it was a default. Now I know.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Duffy666 wrote:Congrats on the anniversary!

Ask and ye shall receive! See the new post in the notice board. I am not sure how well its search works, also it will only search on things in the gallery, not the whole site, but hopefully it is a step in the right direction :D
Mick...

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Congrats! Awesome!
One feature I would love would be to be notified when someone either replies directly to one of my posts, or at all if a thread I posted gets replies. Sometimes I don't notice that stuff for a while!

Also, if it could somehow be easier to update the avatar, that would be great! I keep wanting to update mine to reflect the house as it currently is, but resizing the image is like rocket science to me, haha.

Thanks!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

JacquieJet wrote:Congrats! Awesome!
One feature I would love would be to be notified when someone either replies directly to one of my posts, or at all if a thread I posted gets replies. Sometimes I don't notice that stuff for a while!

Also, if it could somehow be easier to update the avatar, that would be great! I keep wanting to update mine to reflect the house as it currently is, but resizing the image is like rocket science to me, haha.

Thanks!

Hi JJ,

The site already does what you ask on the first part:

You should already get notifications if somebody quotes you on a post, I think you can turn that on or off in the User Control Panel (click on your name in the top right hand corner).

For knowing if somebody posts on your thread, (or any others that you are interested in) you can "subscribe" to a topic. That way the board will let you know by PM (or email based on prefs) when a new post is made on the thread. Current subscriptions can be managed through the User Control Panel.

For the second part, take a look in the Clerk of Works, there is a post on "how to post pictures" see here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=70 I know that isn't your exact ask but it gives help on how to resize images. If that doesn't work, then PM me and we can work something out :D
Mick...

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Wow, that's great Mick... thank you.
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.