Sarco putty longevity?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Vala

Sarco putty longevity?

Post by Vala »

I read before that it should be used up within 2 years, well after 2 years I still have quite a bit left over, and too much to fit in my tiny freezer. Will it really go bad? I'm hoping to get some more glazing done maybe in a month or two that will use up a lot more of it. Or is 2 years really more of a guideline? It still seems almost the same as before when I open up the bucket.

Sashguy

Re: Sarco putty longevity?

Post by Sashguy »

Air and Heat are the culprits. If you can bag it, squeeze the air out and keep it cool you shouldn't have a problem.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

2 years is a suggested 'use by date'...when we finish for the day, we pat the putty down smooth and cover with enough water to cover the surface...you should be ok with using it for some time to come...if it appears a bit too dry, just add a little boiled linseed oil...
...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

Thanks very much, good to know its not ruined!

jharkin
Stalwart

Post by jharkin »

Yeah, I certainly hope you can get a couple years out of it. I used less than half the new tub I bought last year and have been putting off starting on the next room this summer due to this insane heat and drought.

working the heat gun wearing a respirator in a 90F garage :crying-yellow:
-Jeremy

1790~1800ish Center Chimney Cape

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

heartwood wrote:2 years is a suggested 'use by date'...when we finish for the day, we pat the putty down smooth and cover with enough water to cover the surface...you should be ok with using it for some time to come...if it appears a bit too dry, just add a little boiled linseed oil...
...jade

How do you know if it is too old? Does it get lumpy, or show some other symptoms that basically say "dont use"? What happens if you use Sarco that has gone off, what would be the symptoms? Just wondering for future reference. :)
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I can't answer that question with any experience or authority...we go through at least 10 gallons a year so nothing is ever older than 6 months...contact sarco and ask them...they may be noncommittal because they don't want to guarantee the putty's duration as, once it leaves their premises, it can be subjected to all kinds of variables...

when the container is first opened, we need to remove the top 1/8" - 1/4" of putty as it has skinned over even though there is liquid boiled linseed oil sitting on top...if the putty does become a bit crumbly, try adding some blo and mix thoroughly...if there are no lumps, you should be ok....

...jade

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I was going through my work area and found a container of Sarco glaze that I forgot I had. It's never been opened. Would anyone use this themselves, or should I toss it to be safe? I'm assuming it's been in there 4 years or so.