Rotted Balusters - seeking solutions.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Rotted Balusters - seeking solutions.

Post by Wackyshack »

Rotting at the bottom probably because the lower rail was never beveled. This is what the PO did.
We have 85 balusters with at least 30 that have problems of rot .

I was toying with the idea or shortening them at the top and the bottom where the green rings are and then putting in another rail with a decorative element. I don't want to change the look of the railings too much but having new balusters milled at $30 a pop is not within our means

photo attached.
Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 10.22.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 10.22.55 PM.png (587.42 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Sashguy

Re: Rotted Balusters - seeking solutions.

Post by Sashguy »

Check your code. Any major alterations may require you to take it up to 36".

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

As long as I take them down and repair them one at a time and call it "maintenance" I can keep the height I have (grandfathered in). I have had a contractor work on the porch and he was sure to remove only the ones he had to so the "Inspector" couldn't have a problem with it. We don't have any little kids visiting or living at the house so as safety issue is not a hazard to us.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I really wonder how many serious accidents occurred over the years before the new 36" code came into being. The lower railings did encourage sitting on them but the 36" ones really block the view from the porch. :thumbdown:

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Don
Fortunately the fall from mine is a mear 4ft if that. ;-) Sitting on them is a joy and when I paint the upper corbels etc, that is what I stand on. I would really miss them at the height they are at.
I have to act somewhat soon on them before I have none at all... They are not original to the house the ones that were on the house in 1966 looked like airplane propellers. The next set of photos I have of the building were circa 1980's and 90's, with the current ones in place. They are old, just not original to this house.

You are right about having to replace them with 36" like my neighbor had to do in the "twin house" and it throws the design elements off. She moved in with no railings on the porch and had no choice but to replace them with modern.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Sometimes I am so happy that I live in rural VT where I can build / rebuid things whichever way I want
Mick...

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Mick-VT... we can get away with some stuff, but they aren't as "permit happy" in my town as they were in the city I used to live in, you even needed a permit to have a yard sale. :(

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I have nothing constructive to add, but I thought it might amuse you that I read your post title in my head as "Rotted Ballbusters". lol!

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

One of the joys of living in a small town in Maine is that due to our size, we are not required to adopt the Uniform Building Code. that allows a lot of leeway when doing 'restoration' or 'improvements' My new (1991) railings on my front porch are 28" high. Although, when I build for customers, for liability I build to code.
Etta says "WOOF"

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Corsetiere I needed that laugh!!! Thanks!

SkipW I can get around keeping my original height, but no one has any suggestions as to it working or not working by my making another row of decoration? I am stuck on a few things I could do around the house because of indecision, you guys were supposed to be the kick in the seat I needed to get moving again.