Vinyl siding is finally coming off!

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Vinyl siding is finally coming off!

Post by phil »

vvzz wrote:Yeah that's the rationale that current wood is much softer and more rot prone than old growth wood. I don't disagree with that, but I think with proper rain water management and proper vapor management, the issue is not all that big. If there's a water problem than even old growth wood will rot. I've seen that many times.

If modern wood kept dry than it will last. There are tract houses from 1950s that used plantation wood and are still standing.
Just my thoughts, take it with a grain of salt...

I agree. I know of one house that was framed out of almost entirely degrade lumber. By increasing the number of studs a picking the lumber well, that house is still standing an certainly just as structurally sound as any new house.

most of the older homes near me are all fir. anythign new is crappy lumber by comparison to that used in older homes. the ones that are failing are doing so mostly because of the way water was controlled. i think lack of roof overhang has caused a lot of issues with water in the walls. most of the 1950's homes still had a foot or more of overhang. the newer ones, not so much overhang. Condos are the worst. The problems stem to the building code and what is allowed. we had many leaky condo issues in the 1980's and 90's they went crazy with plastic and didn't pay attention to the roof overhang. then the walls got soaked and in many cases they had to pull those buildings apart from the outside to repair the framing. It was an expensive issue here and many new condo buyers lost their shirts.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I made a very nice set of new shutters for a kitchen window which matched the original 1830s vintage shutters on the house. That was 14 years ago. They were primed & well painted yet they have rotted away & need to be replaced. It is very discouraging & shows the poor quality of new growth wood.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Don M wrote:I made a very nice set of new shutters for a kitchen window which matched the original 1830s vintage shutters on the house. That was 14 years ago. They were primed & well painted yet they have rotted away & need to be replaced. It is very discouraging & shows the poor quality of new growth wood.

might have a lot to do with the species as well. some just don't last outdoors. for example oak is a good hardwood and perfectly suited for many things, But I don't think it's great for rot. at least I've seen examples where I was surprised how quickly it rotted.

My neighbor built his porch using a species of ironwood, which is a generalization and there are different species, but these woods are heavy enough to sink and have great rot resistance. He said it was a bit pricey but not too bad. I thought it would be really great for windows and such. I was reading about a tree someone local was giving away. he said it was one of those species and that they had planted them here and I will assume near other waterways with the intention of providing wood for the steamships. It burns like coal evidently.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

I made a few shutters out of cypress about 20 years ago; I was back looking for which ones they were and I could not pick out my "new" ones from the original ones, and I couldn't remember which windows they were put on. But even the cypress you can get now, unless it is reclaimed, it's just junk with very little rot-resistance.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

phil wrote: might have a lot to do with the species as well. some just don't last outdoors. for example oak is a good hardwood and perfectly suited for many things, But I don't think it's great for rot. at least I've seen examples where I was surprised how quickly it rotted.

Red Oak is useless outside due to its open grain wicking up moisture. White oak is good though apparently.

Ironwood is supposed to have extremely good rot resistance outside, and is often recommended as a greener, more sustainable and domestic alternative to Ipe
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Casey wrote:I made a few shutters out of cypress about 20 years ago; I was back looking for which ones they were and I could not pick out my "new" ones from the original ones, and I couldn't remember which windows they were put on. But even the cypress you can get now, unless it is reclaimed, it's just junk with very little rot-resistance.
Casey

Most shutter companies now seem to be using Spanish Cedar
Mick...

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Last weekend we finally revealed the window. And what a surprise! Very unusual second arch on top of it - completely unexpected. Most other houses around here have a cornice type trim on the top.

There's also evidence of shutters previously being on that window(I think you can even make out the outline on the photo)

So amazing how there's infinite variety of architectural choices on historic houses! You never know what to expect, but its all beautiful!

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

The same modillions on the porch/hood were on the bay. I wonder if the corner boards were like pilasters surmounted by a carved capital? There is that un-painted area where something is missing.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

vvzz
Been here a while

Post by vvzz »

Yeah, the modillions(never knew they were called that) are the same. I'm in the process of figuring out on how to replicate them currently.

I started restoring the pilasters(you can see it on the right if you look closely) The capital is built up using various crown moldings. Luckily the outline is still there, so I can restore it exactly.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Nice surprise!