Removing plaster to expose brick

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
kelt65
Stalwart

Re: Removing plaster to expose brick

Post by kelt65 »

Texas_Ranger wrote:Removing interior plaster isn't going to ruin anything but it'll be a lot of work and money to put it back if someone decides s/he doesn't like the bare walls any more. Besides, the mortar might be dusty, then someone applies some magic sealant and that might be a problem if you ever want to replaster because the plaster might not stick too well to that seal coat. I suppose if you were so much into the industrial look you could whitewash the bare brick - that'd get rid of any dust and doesn't hurt at all.

Well "ruin" might've been too strong a word, but painting brick can never "help" it. There's no question that paints trap moisture, unless you're using a mineral paint, such as limewash. There are brick buildings over 1000 years old on this earth. I doubt they'd still be here if they'd been painted.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Even if you totally sealed the brick from inside that'd be a lot less problematic than from outside, unless you're in a very humid climate and the interior is fully air-conditioned. In a cold dry climate your biggest enemy is warm, humid air from inside that condenses in the walls and can wreak havoc if it doesn't get out.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Texas_Ranger wrote:... unless you're in a very humid climate and the interior is fully air-conditioned.

Well, you just described thousands of existing brick buildings. I know most everyone here is north / northeast and only familiar with those issues but "very humid, hot climate" describes a good 40% of North America.

Vala

Post by Vala »

kelt65 wrote:
Texas_Ranger wrote:... unless you're in a very humid climate and the interior is fully air-conditioned.

Well, you just described thousands of existing brick buildings. I know most everyone here is north / northeast and only familiar with those issues but "very humid, hot climate" describes a good 40% of North America.

Yea thats our summers exactly.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yes & once brick is painted it will be to be painted again. $$$ Especially exterior brick homes.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Gothichome wrote:Jamars, welcome to the district. You should indruduce yourself and post pics of your home (we are a nosey bunch here).
Our home has some plaster on brick. This is our summer kitchen, I removed the plaster on this wall and then gave it a good brush with a stiff broom. Worked well, still needs a little bit more sweeping though.
Several us have done this it adds a bit of an accent to a room,

I think this was originally an exterior brick wall; the flemish bond and the extremely careful mortar joints are evidence.
The "exposed brick" fad is one of my pet peeves. Like why you wouldn't wear boxers (or bare feet) to work.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Casey, yes it is the exterior wall before the summer kitchen was built. The pointing is fantastic, I believe the add on was done early in the homes history, maybe even as an after thought while the Gothichome was being built. The pointing shows no weathering at all. As far as a fad, you could be correct, it may be just a reaction to the plain uninspired drywall of modern homes.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

There is justification exposing that nice exterior brick wall because it was meant to be seen, and it's exemplary craftsmanship and material. Brick that was originally plastered was never meant to be seen.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Don M

Post by Don M »

Casey wrote:There is justification exposing that nice exterior brick wall because it was meant to be seen, and it's exemplary craftsmanship and material. Brick that was originally plastered was never meant to be seen.
Casey

I have plaster applied to stone on my exterior walls. I imagine if I tried to remove the plaster I would encounter all sorts of issues; even more than if it were plaster on brick!