1904 farmhouse with tin/ galvinized roof, lifespan?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
TeeSpot
Just Arrived

1904 farmhouse with tin/ galvinized roof, lifespan?

Post by TeeSpot »

I am looking at buying a 1904 farmhouse in the south east. It has a tin/ galvinized steel roof. The seller and myself are unsure of age and I'm concerned about the lifespan of this roof. any suggestions or insight.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.05 KiB) Viewed 1123 times

Mick_VT

Re: 1904 farmhouse with tin/ galvinized roof, lifespan?

Post by Mick_VT »

standing seam metal roofs can last indefinitely so long as you keep the rust at bay with maintenance and painting. I would imagine the same is true for tin roofs like this, I am sure others will have an opinion.

Looks like it could use a coat of paint. Around here painting a roof will usually cost two thousand, obviously that depends on the size of the roof.
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I agree with Mick, they last a long time a realy long time. Even with a bit of surface rust they are still going to last a long time. The issue would be if you saw flaking rust. At that point you have decisions to make.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

That a really nice looking house! Is it rural or urban?

TeeSpot
Just Arrived

Post by TeeSpot »

It's in between. It's outside of Savannah about 6 minutes from civilization.

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

If you take care of that roof, you will never have to replace it.
Really nice looking place... any update on the purchase? ...
Warren

TeeSpot
Just Arrived

Post by TeeSpot »

Still in process of deciding. Seller is stuck at a price and appraisel is about 50-75k lower and that's where I would like to be so we will see.

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

That style metal roofing was probably put on in the 50/60's using galvanized spiral nails with lead washers. The problem with all metal roofs is the expansion and contraction, which eventually causes the fasteners to loosen. Your roof looks like a corrugated metal style, which has exposed fasteners where the movement with cause the fasteners to loosen and fall out, or if the nails are fastened securely then the metal will tear. Sliding snow or wind can pull the nails out.

Typically the metal was installed overtop of existing wood or asphalt shingles, although judging from the shadow lines in your photo yours may be installed over strapping (which is good! Nailing through old roofing will loosen easier).

Your best bet is to have a roofer go up and take a look and replace any missing or loose nails with newer type screws with rubber washers.

Contrary to what others have said, metal roofs do have a lifespan. Corrugated metal roofs like this one typically are 70 some years, depending on damage and condition of the fasteners. Sometimes when there are a lot of tears or damage then sealant has to be used and sealing them just becomes a yearly maintenance item, which sort of negates the point of having a metal roof.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage