The "New" kitchen.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
pappster85
Settling in

The "New" kitchen.

Post by pappster85 »

After months of work, the new kitchen is ready to cook! Now, I still feel a bit guilty in moving the kitchen from one room in the house to another. In some ways I still regret doing it. However, the finished product is still a point of pride with me. The cabinets are the showpiece. They were a craigslist find. A contractor was gutting a original 1912 kitchen and had posted the cabinets. I found the post on lunch at work and the were delivered that day. After restoring the hardware, stripping, painting, and other tasks they are good to go! One of the cabinets is actually an electric warming cabinet complete with three heat settings, ceramic control knob, and red gem indication lamp. Again, moving the kitchen into an old bedroom still seems wrong, so be gentle please!

http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/papps ... %20Kitchen

Mick_VT

Re: The "New" kitchen.

Post by Mick_VT »

Looks great! :thumbup: :thumbup: :D
Mick...

Don M

Post by Don M »

It looks like a fine kitchen & I love the reused cabinets. The original room appears to have been something other than a bedroom originally---why did you decide to move the kitchen from it's original location?

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Looking pretty nice! Are all of those cabinets metal? Did they already have the glass or did you replace?

Very nice.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

That is a super nice kitchen and it looks well planned and arranged. It must have been a lot of work. I hope you are taking time to celebrate finishing it. ( even if you can think of some more to do )
after doing mine I know what a huge undertaking it is and how much it affects you r life having everything torn apart.
Nice work !

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Wow, those cabinets are gorgeous! They do not look recycled at all. You did a great job on the layout.
Diane

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

My theory is... never feel badly about a decision that turns out nicely. You have nothing to feel oddly about. Your kitchen looks fabulous! Whatever the reasons behind your choice do not matter. Then end product looks perfect for the space, and you are likely utilizing the previous kitchen space in a way that makes more sense in modern day... all good. Really nice job.
Warren

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Wow, what a beautiful kitchen...hope mine will look that good one day! Enjoy it and don't feel too bad about the switcheroo.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

What a beautiful kitchen you created. The cabinets are beautiful. I love the ceiling and backsplash.
Nice job! :thumbup:

Susan

pappster85
Settling in

Post by pappster85 »

Thank you all for the kind words and reassurance! The switch was made in part because the room in which the kitchen used to be in was going to be very difficult to obtain good usable counter top space along with and standard appliances. It know that sounds like a line from HGTV but trust me, it was going to be a real squeeze. The former kitchen was part of a 1964 flip where they gutted the original kitchen, blew out a back wall into the old covered porch, and added a full bathroom. My plan is to use this old space as a new master bedroom which will then by default have it's own full bathroom. The room that the new kitchen is in used to be a sleeping porch when the home was built in 1919. In 1932 the room was expanded about five feet. They did an outstanding job with the addition as it is not easy to detect inside or out without a very close eye.
The cabinets are steel and were a dirty cream color when delivered. The glass in the doors is all original complete with waves which makes them perfect. I have learned that using old things even in a new project helps offset that brand new look that can be hard to tone down at times. The usefulness of the new space has been great. I can converse with people as I cook or cook along side others without stepping on each other. The same goes for dodging two begging cats and one begging dog while trying to cook. It has been a welcome change to the home, even with the rash of guilt!