Hallowe'en, and what you do at your old house...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Hallowe'en, and what you do at your old house...

Post by Lily left the valley »

Welp, we drove up Leamy St. on the way home from dinner with my in-laws today. HOLY MOLY. Apparently there is some unknown to me competition on that street. So many houses decorated to the hilt.

I'll try to get some pictures this week.

Meanwhile...we have some serious planning to do, even if we're half a block over from said street. When we lived in Marquette, only one house was near as well decorated. We are going to have to step up our game this year. :scared-ghostface:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

So another site I haunt for different reasons got on a muppet kick the other night, and Sean and I decided if we were going to go a bit bonkers for Halloween, which we love to do, why not do stuff similar in look to the Dark Crystal? Yeah, we're nuts.

I realized soon after that a lot of yard waste that won't compost anytime soon would be useful for "stuffing" some figures, as well as decorate them. So I started organizing yard waste bits today like spent day lily stalks and leaves as I did a round about the yard. Should be interesting to see how far we get with this. Fortunately, he's been focusing on organizing the craft room, so we have a fairly good idea of what we have to work with. We're going to treat the Skeksis like scarecrows as far as having a basic frame underneath, and then use a combo of fabric we have stashed as well as whatever else on hand works.

We're going to watch the movie Saturday night and take notes since he has off again on Sunday. We're still not sure how the heck that happened. He rarely gets them off, and now two in a row!
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

last year I bought a pile of nice big chocolate bars thinking I'd delight the kids that did come. I think I had 4 maybe 6 "customers" and then did what any normal thinking person would do , gorged myself on the rest of em ;-)

maybe I dont' need 40? but if its nice I could get that many.. I'm always worried I'll run out so I overbuy... since our street is so noisy I know If I had kids I'd pick a different street, one or two back it's so much quieter. Maybe I need to go to more effort but I find it hard to get enthused about it since I really dont' get many.

Lily left the valley

phil wrote:Maybe I need to go to more effort but I find it hard to get enthused about it since I really dont' get many.
Last year, we wound up sitting on our front steps because the steps didn't have a porch light, and aside from my last minute deco job in the 3 season porch, hardly anyone was knocking even though we had both doors open, so you could see them open through the glassed screen doors.

Once we sat on the steps, though...steady stream. Since we're only two blocks from there, we figured it'd be about the same. Glad I talked to the neighbor, because I didn't do an actual candy count last year, though I know we bought more because we were told to last minute when Sean said how many bags we had brought wasn't nearly enough. We did have some leftovers, but we would have run out had we not bought the last minute stuff.

Today I'm gathering bits of material for the "arms" of the 3 Skeksis we're shooting for to put on the porch. We don't know how active the mischief night is here, so we're debating not even putting those out front until the morning of just in case someone thinks "Oh this is so going home with me/let's move this" sort of thing. We're probably overthinking it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. If it's quieter for mischief this year, next year we'll throw more caution to the wind.

It's kind of nice in a way that we decided this route, as it's helping me focus on clean up around the yard while still working towards the decor. :lol:

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

The number of trick-or-treaters we get has been declining steadily since we moved in 8 years ago. It's not us but the changing demographics of the neighbourhood and the rising popularity of school/church/civic sponsored Halloween parties. It probably also has something to do with a lack of sidewalks and the half-acre (plus) lots each house sits on (it's a long walk around the block).

I seem to recall we had 14 treaters last year. This year we had six.

In "honour" of those six, I went post-Halloween discount shopping and bought Halloween themed, glow in the dark T-shirts (depicting the skeletal system), stretchy book covers, stickers, and etc.; along with six plastic jack-o-lantern buckets to put them in as a sort of gift bag (like they give out to stars at an awards gala).

The first six well-costumed treaters we get next year will get the gift bucket of stuff that will include non-allergenic treats.

BTW, this year was the first year a treater gave us something!

The circa 6 yr. old neighbour girl gave us a haunted house shaped candy box containing cookies she and her mother made. I think it was a "thank you" for the 12"x36"x36" metal parts cabinet (of 30 drawers) I gave them for hardware but the mother took for her daughter's collection of whatever Pokemon, Hatchimals, or whatever kids are collecting now.

Nikon was giving away several pallets of the cabinets and I took three (two for me and one because it fit in the RAV). I'm tempted to get three more.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

I found a couple of projectors at home depot. They project onto a translucent screen hung in a window. They cost about $50 each and came with several pre-loaded videos with Halloween and Christmas themes. http://fixfarrington.blogspot.com/2017/10/halloween.html

Lily left the valley

Well, things were going well until some unexpected repairs needed to happen (plumbing among them.) This brought a grinding halt to the decor making at that time, and as we got closer to the date, we just threw in the towel and stashed what could be for next year.

We wound up having less than an hour to do anything other than eat because we had so many errands to run after the plumber was done. Being time pressed, I totally forgot about taking a photo. We also broke it down right after because they were forecasting possible rain and of what there was, half we didn't want rained on.

So...our dead basic decoration. One string of "Halloween" lights we had picked up prior post holiday and I had totally forgot about until we found them hung inside the front (French) door. We did them inside because we don't have an outdoor outlet yet, and with the wacky weather we weren't eager to have a cord running out a window anyhoo. (It was rather cold, though not as cold as right now--in the 20s F.)

I also took two pear baskets I had picked up recently and set them out at the top of the first set of stairs to our house on their sides, stuffed with fall color leaves, bits of the daylily stalks I hadn't used yet for the scrapped decor, and we attempted to use two of the dollar store glowtubes inside a glass and plastic pumpkin nested inside said basket, but they were too small and didn't light up very well. One of the tubes broke when I used the tubing they give you to make them into bracelets, and we worried they might break on the kids, so the rest of them that we had planned to give out, we kept for decor next year rather than risk it.

We also brought our porch swing to below the porch stairs, which I trussed up a bit with that old landscaping cloth I had found in the garage, and we had some "creatures" peeking out in places from our collection of props and toys. We changed the porch light to a dimmer bulb so it wouldn't overwhelm the candles we had planned. The candles, though, kept blowing out in the wide but short glass vases we had put them in, sadly.

We sat on the swing when things got rolling at 4 (we thought) with a huge fuzzy throw, two baskets (one candy, one toys/temporary tattoos), and two thermoses of tea Sean made. Then our one neighbor told us the one sign at the circle was wrong, and it wouldn't start until 5! :doh: So back inside we went until then.

We have a street light right at the edge of our property, so there was still a decent amount of light thrown on the lower stairs. We had one heart attack, despite the numerous mermaid skirts, too-long skirts/dresse and capes, where a very enthusiastic toddler didn't wait for her mom to meet her back at the stairs (traffic up and down them was a bit clogged at times, so parents tended to stay at street level.) She did fall, but fortunately her mom caught her before she fell farther than just the step she was at. She quickly leapt into her mom's arms, and although she looked rather sorrowful, she was ok and didn't cry.

We were amazed at how many kids chose the non-edible basket (we only let them take from one), and apparently the turquoise/allergy thing isn't well know here, as many parents were surprised (and delighted) at having the option. If it wasn't for the temporary tattoos we threw into the mix of oddball small toys we had gathered (leftover from an old Archie McPhee Surprise Box), we would have run out of that basket.

We only know the rough estimate of 350-400 because we counted the candy pieces, but forgot to count the temporary tattoos. We had 3 toys left over. Even with our alternate, the candy basket had very little leftover, and when we dropped off what was left to the local spot for "Treats for Troops", it was barely 1/3rd of one of the candy bags we had bought. Next year we're going to get a lot more toys and tattoos, just in case we completely run out of candy because they will keep a year.

We had a lot of fun, and hoo boy the neighbors weren't kidding about how many kids we'd get! :royalty-pharaoh: :spidey-creep: