You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by phil »

-you will fix anything but the roof because it's freakishly steep ;-)
- you have 4 vacuum cleaners and only one can go in the actual living area for fear the others will expel horrible amounts of life threatening toxic old house dust, and you compare how you clean the filters on each just for fun ;-)

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

-you go to historic house museums to get ideas for your own restoration, not just for the history that happened there.

-historical reenactors stop talking to the crowd and single you out with their own questions because they notice how interested you are in particular makings of the room/house that nobody else would care about.

-people in your neighborhood find you on Facebook and want to sell you parts for your house so they can have a hand in the restoration (seriously had my first contact like this. yay!)

-your neighbor sees you push-mowing your acre of grass and offers to mow for you so you can get back to your restoration project because "we can't wait to see what it's going to look like!" (which might also be code for, "we hope you get the junk out of your yard and finish that project SOON." lol... naw, they're about as excited as I am about the exterior work being done right now)

-you eagerly await the day you will rip out all of your white cabinets and countertops and replace them with oak kitchen furniture and disguise your refrigerator as a large ice box.

phil

Post by phil »

all your mail gets crumpled up to fit it through the teeny mail slot but you cant' bear the thought of installing a larger one because that would be way too destructive.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

...you get mad at your spouse for doing an errand in a nearby city without you because there's a ReStore there and you really wanted to go there to buy some reclaimed wood rather than inferior new stock.

(He thought he was doing me the favor of letting me sleep in, and instead of being grateful I was all... :angry-steamingears: Poor spouse!)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

You go through doors not only turning the knob and opening the door but also turning the doorknob back to such position that the door latches, since the return springs are worn out.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phil, you mean, they are supposed to go back to latch on their own? :think:

Lily left the valley

...you instinctively brace up the top sash as you unlatch the sash lock when opening windows since the weather is nicer.

When you realize you're doing it and feel overcautious, a small voice in your head reminds you that you do this just in case it's one with cords that might be going/gone since you haven't changed them out yet, and you'd feel foolish, sad and annoyed if you lost any wavy glass from having not taken such a precaution. :lol:
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Mick_VT wrote:
Gothichome wrote:You read two pages of discussion with interest, on the pro's and cons of antique vacuum cleaners.

:laughing-rofl:

Guilty as well :lol:
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

Gothichome wrote:Phil, you mean, they are supposed to go back to latch on their own? :think:

after my honey installed a door to the kitchen porch, we all stood there doing the sesame street open/closed because it actually latched! ( after much wailing and gnashing of teeth)
Today is my happily ever after.

Lily left the valley

...instead of fixing the leaky hot water drip in the shower you just keep using the hot water cut off between showers so your boiler doesn't kick in constantly to reheat the water due to the drip.

You do this because trying to dismantle that to make sure it's only a bad washer might actually lead to finding out the whole assembly is falling apart and taking it apart might help the falling apart bit happen sooner. You really want to replace the current set up with one closer to original, which you can't afford right now...so why take the chance? You mentally feel financially safer in the meantime pinching pennies towards a full fix just in case.

Bonus: you only realize the appliance guy reversed the hot and cold on the washing machine because it couldn't fill after a wash as it shares the same hot water line as the shower. (Right after we had the switch fixed that was preventing the spin from kicking in, I noticed it stopped too early, and when I went to check...it was on rinse and no water coming in until I thought to open the hot water line and voila! Hot only rinse. :-o I had cut off the hot after the basin had filled for the wash. Yes, I swapped them back.)

Ah, yes..another one I just thought of as well:

...if you clean up broken glass left behind by the PO in your cellar with a rake instead of a broom or shop vac because the cellar has a dirt floor.