You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:my attic was nailed shut in the non living space. It had an inch of fiberglass and two inches of dust on that. Another old house owner might know the R value per inch of dust ;-)

:lol:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

You stalk the local renos in case they are throwing out good salvage...

I just saw someone with a bungalow nearby (I think) replacing the front door-and I know it had the correct (possibly wood, hard to tell from driving past at 55mph) craftsman style on it before. I almost stopped but I am kind of shy in person and just couldn't get myself to go and ask them if I could have the old one, if that was what they were doing. I will check things out on garbage day though, since my haunting CL has yielded nothing so far in the great door hunt.

Now if I could just find the screen door and some door casings/trim, I would be getting somewhere!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

IMG_6284 copy.jpg
IMG_6284 copy.jpg (114.77 KiB) Viewed 1000 times

if a window like this makes you smile and grow a warmth in your heart, rather than shake your head or run in fear
Mick...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Looks good to me !

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, are you and Gibson working on the same home :problem: . Looks perfect to my eye, but waite , I am tilting my head. That would drIve upper management crazy in a very short time.

Lily left the valley

...you suddenly realize one day that that you have curved window envy.

Even after reading all the stories about such that would send an average person fleeing to the nearest cave. :D
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

it begs for a little statue of "nipper' ( the RCA dog) on a table inside the window ;-)

Lily left the valley

Your wireless headphones start to lose connection when you walk from your computer and turn into the pantry to put a glass in the sink.

The path is get up, turn around, walk two steps out of room, turn right, walk ten paces then turn left to the sink which is butted right against that wall. No solid doors in between, just turning good ol' plaster walls. :lol:

Lily left the valley

...when you look over the list of possible prizes at the contest your local grocery store is holding, and chuckle over the "Kitchen Makeover! Valued at $25,000".

I know I can definitely think of better use for the cash value of that prize (after taxes). Yet trying to explain it to the prize people might be interesting. ;-)

"Well, you see, we're buying a historic home, and we're already lucky in that it really doesn't need to be unmuddled..."

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

After reading most every post, I didn't see these:

...at least once per month your doorbell rings from: 1) vinyl replacement windows sales representatives,
2) one (or two) of the local vinyl siding companies.

...your most used sales catalogs, "how-to", and reference books were written before WWI.

...you ever wonder "how in the world" those real estate agents can call those 20 yr. old houses a...."victorian", "craftsman", and etc.

...you know, from first hand experience, sleeping in the attic/detached garage/unfinished basement/back yard "isn't all *that* bad".

...you finally unpack some more of your moving boxes and read the crumpled packing newspapers out of nostalgia.

...you finally can take those long-awaited "after" photos, of a particular room, but can't believe the "before" photos were taken 5, 8, 10 yrs. ago!

[Edit: I just went into the kitchen to make coffee and was reminded of one more:....you wonder if something might be wrong because "that spot" in the floor *doesn't* squeak any more.]
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.