You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Ireland House
Been here a while

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by Ireland House »

When your 9 year old daughter asks for her own power tools for Christmas, you not only seriously consider it but wonder if you can write it off as a home school expense!
Today is my happily ever after.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

You know... I just left a clawfoot tub! And not only that, it was the exact same model as the only remaining original one here in the house! I didn't have the slightest idea where to use it though and nowhere to store it (I already have one too many baths).

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

GAH! Put it outside and list it on craigslist.

But, those are HEAVY as heck so I can understand leaving it. I would have been obsessing over it for weeks though.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

You might be an old home owner if...

Drills, saws, tools, and other construction supplies make up your entire "Christmas list"

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

...you find yourself wiping away tears of laughter when a new house owner is complaining how they need to get their R30 attic insulation up to R60 before winter sets in, knowing that your closing in January new old home attic currently has R0 in it since two old quilts spread out at random don't qualify as even a R.5. (Yes, that's .5, and I don't have the heart to tell them how good they have it...they'd never understand.)

Lady, Xmas came early for me in the tool department when we lucked into the ones we bought and were given recently. My Ryobi roll cart set was a Xmas present years ago. ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

I am jealous! ;-)

SacCraftsman95817
Just Arrived

Post by SacCraftsman95817 »

You might be an old home owner if... you can make a maze or any interesting design with all the cracks in the plaster walls and ceilings.

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

Lily left the valley wrote: knowing that your closing in January new old home attic currently has R0 in it since two old quilts spread out at random don't qualify as even a R.5.

When you read this and think that's pretty cool if they are actually vintage and in decent shape...

How about...

You have a "collection" of cool stuff you've found in the house.

You "stalk" the former owners family trees to find the history of the house.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

eclecticcottage wrote:You "stalk" the former owners family trees to find the history of the house.

I've seen a few folks mention in their posts about how they use ancestry.com for such.

When we were looking at 42, I did a lot of this online, even finding where the former owner was and where her spouse was buried in town.

We've done a bit of this with the current home, but have been too busy to do more so far.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Lily left the valley wrote:... two old quilts spread out at random don't qualify as even a R.5.

my attic was nailed shut in the non living space. It had an inch of fiberglass and two inches of dust on that. Another old house owner might know the R value per inch of dust ;-)