You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by Lily left the valley »

Olson185 wrote:{snip}...you finally unpack some more of your moving boxes and read the crumpled packing newspapers out of nostalgia.

This is my favorite. When I was growing up, there was a small knee attic that had a few boxes that had never been opened since my parents moved off base when the Vietnam war ended and my dad was relieved from his draft based service. (He did stay a reservist until retirement, though.)

Every time my father would see them getting out the Christmas decorations, he'd sigh, dust them off a bit, and leave them be. I asked him one year, "What's in those anyway?" I don't remember his exact answer, but I do recall something like he was worried that if he opened them and it was something really useless, it'd somehow be worse to wonder why they dragged them from Virginia to New Jersey all those years ago. :D
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

1. You take pictures of old 'sad sack' houses to get renovation ideas and/or get a better understanding of the design of the missing trim on your own home.

2. On a bad day, you dream of demoing your house, and moving a historic 'for sale' house onto your lot.

3. You use home incurred injuries as both a indicator of a project milestone and a badge of honor.

4. You can spend entire days looking at catalogs and online sites to get design/delivery ideas.

5. 90% of the design ideas on Houzz make you want to vomit. And, secretly chuckle as you know those foolish people will throw good money after bad in 10-15 years updating their (fill in the blank) to keep up with the latest design fad (at least we only update at the half or quarter or full century mark!)

6. You think nothing of flying across country (or driving an insane amount of miles) to buy the perfect (fill in the blank)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

You might be a old house lover if you have to "dress nice" to go to Home Depot

you install a new X and say to yourself "that will just have to do until an older one comes along".

every shirt you have reminds you of some project from years gone by.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

You know your friends are old house lovers if after a tornado hits your small town they call not to see if you are O.K. but what damage if any your house suffered. :lol:
FYI, no damage to us, but 8 "new" houses lost 5 blocks from us.
Today is my happily ever after.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

You read two pages of discussion with interest, on the pro's and cons of antique vacuum cleaners.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:You read two pages of discussion with interest, on the pro's and cons of antique vacuum cleaners.

:laughing-rofl:
Mick...

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

IMG_20170322_110030968.jpg
IMG_20170322_110030968.jpg (729.17 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

When you keep all the old popular mechanix magazines your grandpa had in the 40's because the household tips and improvement hints were designed for houses like yours!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Not only how to repair you old home Neighmond, but improve performance on your 1940 daily driver, build a futuristic gadget to make you life easier, and a least 10 tips on how to keep your vacuume vacuuming well into the 21's century. :lol:

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

That too!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

you order all hardware in unfinished brass so you can throw it in darkening solution to make it look "right" before you use it (new shininess not allowed!)
Mick...