You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by phil »

.. You've never wanted for anything ! ( noting that no one has ever posed a single thing in the "Wanted" section of this forum )

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

...a minor earthquake hits your area late at night, causing the house to shake, but you're so caught up in doing to wall stenciling and listening to old-time bluegrass you think it's just the house shaking to a big truck driving by (until you see the news in the morning). :shock:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/se60237442/executive (it was just a baby earthquake.)

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Yeah, we get those all the time, but Vulcan has operations in the area, so we figure it's just blasting until we hear otherwise. My husband and I both heard a boom and felt the house shake a week or two ago. It turned out to be only a 2.3, but it felt pretty substantial.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

We to get quakes, but most are so small no one ever feels them. They tell us it’s just surface movement, the land still rising from the last ice age.

phil

Post by phil »

I wonder if the sea rises due to melting glaciers if we will see more of them. maybe the sea would redistribute weight and cause shifts? we have had a few historically but no severe ones here in my lifetime.
evidently the potential is there for the big one. California has had more and we are on basically the same San Andreas fault line. the pacific plate and north american plate meet just off our coastline and there is a subduction zone where one plate slips under the other. we do have Vancouver island between but who knows if that's a relief.. It's so speculative.
They caused one a bit northwest of me recently by fracking and I think they ceased fracking in that area for now anyway. They do know fracking can cause earthquakes. most haven't been devastating ones. weather it could trigger a big one , seems like a reasonable possibility.

my earthquake insurance is high but not necessary for the mortgage so I dropped it. I've heard that our old wood framed buildings do fairly well at not falling down. usually they aren't bolted to foundations so some have taken to installing bolts so they cant' slip off the foundation so easily. Some speculate that if we did have one big enough for my house to tumble it would make the insurance companies go bankrupt. I don't know if that's probable. I assume there would be enough left to build a shelter and I just hope it never happens. The potential is definitely there.
probability of time before a big one happens is difficult to predict I guess.

we have some areas that are built on peat bogs, dyked farmland now covered in housing. and evidently liquifaction could happen which could cause all the subsoil to sort of liquify and it would cause roads in and out to become mush basically. I didn't want o buy in the lowlands for this reason. prices seem just as high in most of those areas. everything is expensive.

T. J. Albrecht
Settling in

Post by T. J. Albrecht »

… plaster dust is just another food group

… you have to do a 15 minute tutorial on how to flush your toilet because some of your friends never saw a high tank toilet before

… you have to do a 15 minute tutorial on how to use your rotary telephone because some of your friends never saw (or used) a rotary telephone before

… before you move in you have to evict the current residents (Mr. and Mrs. Racoon in the back porch ceiling, Mr. Woodchuck under the front porch, and many, many families of mice)

A.Fox
Knows the area

Post by A.Fox »

I know out-of-square-ness has been discussed many times before, but:

...you find yourself contemplating how crooked everything in your house really is.

Does anyone else do this? If I'm sitting to long looking at something I invariably find myself looking at something like how a window slopes at a different angle than the floor or the ceiling, and wondering how it's even possible that everything is still tight and held together.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

A.Fox wrote:I know out-of-square-ness has been discussed many times before, but:

...you find yourself contemplating how crooked everything in your house really is.

Does anyone else do this? If I'm sitting to long looking at something I invariably find myself looking at something like how a window slopes at a different angle than the floor or the ceiling, and wondering how it's even possible that everything is still tight and held together.

I do this every time I look into my living room and see that my floor lamp looks like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil

Post by phil »

You can trow a ball and it comes back without needing to involve the dog.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

You're not entirely comfortable with the idea of going barefoot.