You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by Chevygirlalways »

You feel like you know the couple that built your home in 1898 from doing research and talking to family members. One of the people that I spoke with, a man in his late 80's came to visit. He told me his Aunt and Uncle built this house. He told me many stories about them. What an interesting afternoon as I walked him through the house and he recalled memories from his childhood. Do any of you wonder about the folks that built your home?

Susan
SANY0006 (800x600).jpg
SANY0006 (800x600).jpg (352.19 KiB) Viewed 7356 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

All the time Chevygirl. The family that built Gothichome are still many in the area. None of them remember that far back though.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

I am in touch with the daughter of one of the 7 "Tucker Girls", who refers to the family nickname of her grandfather as "Big Daddy", who was the son in law of the woman who purchased the house from the builder.

You Might Be an Old Home Owner if... you find yourself using Ancestry.com to bother a bunch of old people you never even met about the history of your house.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

...you have no money because you get a little bit ahead and spend it all on your "baby."
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Etta says "WOOF"

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Your house keeps you so poor you can't pay attention ;-)

dpkmpy8
Knows the area

Post by dpkmpy8 »

...if jacking up the two and a half story house to replace a rotten sill plate is a "busy Saturday morning."

I actually had a friend at church last weekend ask how the house was coming along, and I told him about doing just such a repair. He had a very hollow stare and just said "Dude. That's kinda major stuff isn't it? I thought when you said it needed a lot of work it was light paint and drywall and stuff."
May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

When your birthday/Christmas comes around, everyone just gets you gift certificates for the local hardware store.

When your birthday/Christmas comes around, you get the odd gifts like antique thing-a-ma-jigs (if it's "old" and they see it, they think you can use it).

Speaking of church members--everybody always asks me about my "baby" (as in, you're the last one here not married with little kids... haha) and thankfully several have been kind enough to pitch in and volunteer their professional help (electrician, brick layer, landscaper...). I get the whole "You're in your late 20s and did that all by yourself?!" 8-) My relpy, "Why, yeppers, I sure did do that there thing!"

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

You might be an old home owner if... People are curious that you may have a "ghost" at your old home!!!! :angel: Rarely someone doesn't ask :)

Susan

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

There needs to be a "like" button on this forum! So much truth here. :D