You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by Daniel Meyer »

You might be an old house owner if, instead of asking you about your latest project, everybody asks what "treasures" you found while working on it.

(an Old Vic comic along those lines)
http://theoldvictorianwebcomic.com/comi ... ng-useful/

-dm

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

I know some of these are listed as "you might be a redneck", but it sometimes also applies to old house owners. (I am also a product of 300+ years of Southerners, so the redneck part may or may not apply to me or my kin. I plead the 5th ;-) )

Chiggers are included on your list of top 5 hygiene concerns. (my yard looked worse than a hayfield...)
You burn your yard rather than mow it. (I have burned part of it...)
You've ever raked leaves in your kitchen. (in the old carriage house/garage, actually...)
You clean your fingernails with a stick. (hey, that paint was getting kinda thick under them...)
You keep a can of RAID on the kitchen table. (you better believe it! Them wasps are crazy this time of year. Half dozen met their maker just yesterday in my parlor!)
Every socket in your house breaks a fire code. (weeeelll... once upon a time...)
There are more than five McDonald's bags in your car. (Because I can't get to my stove due to the paint cans/hardware and the trashcans are full with stuff from tearing things out of the house)
Going to the bathroom at night involves shoes and a flashlight. (splinters..... although I do know what it is to treck out to the barn when needed. Don't judge me. The floor to the two-seater outhouse done fell in...)
You own at least 20 baseball hats. (keeps the paint and mice poo from the ceilings out of the hair)
Last edited by SouthernLady on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I resemble a lot of those!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

@SouthernLady... sounds like you are living in my house!
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

You plan to bring your tape measure to the home inspection of an 1850 house you hope to buy because you suspect that the "storage nook" that's walled in with paneling may be hiding the original kitchen fireplace behind it.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Lily left the valley wrote:You plan to bring your tape measure to the home inspection of an 1850 house you hope to buy because you suspect that the "storage nook" that's walled in with paneling may be hiding the original kitchen fireplace behind it.

OMG! My farmer friend bought another farm that adjoins my land. Little stone house, (even smaller than mine) He asked if I wanted a tour..first thing I noticed was the dry-walled rectangular space that jutted out at the gable end of the rear ell. I sooo want to sneak in there and tear it out to reveal the obvious cooking hearth behind it. Lol, he'd know I was the culprit ....Mal

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

You might be an Old Home Owner if...

An electrician takes a look through your basement and says, "Wow. It's like a museum of the history of electrical wiring down here. Wiring through the decades."

eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Post by eclecticcottage »

You can't drive by an old door being thrown out without rescuing them...same for old sinks, fixtures, etc. Even if you don't need them or have a use for them, they must be saved.

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Ah curbies - love em!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

On average in Gardner, if an older resident is curbing something older, you will never see it in a garbage bin unless it's beyond hope of repair. I've even seen things neatly boxed with the top left open right next to a half empty bin.

The young folks? You'll be lucky if they leave something long peeking out of the top. They'll bury a perfectly good door under leaf bags. (Only the brass glint of the hardware gave it away--and, no I didn't get that--someone else nabbed it before I got back since I spotted it on my morning walk.)

Related, you'll see a lot of curbed stuff with clear signs as to if things are Free or For Sale. (I've noticed For Sale items often don't leave the yard zone, perhaps as a way to deter a snatch and run.) Our building regularly puts out stuff with FREE signs, and rarely do we have to bring it back in after a few days. (Less often now with the colder weather.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.