You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by Daniel Meyer »

You own a level, square, and plumb-bob...and if you use any of them, what you build won't fit in your house...

http://theoldvictorianwebcomic.com/comic/level/

Don M

Post by Don M »

You cringe when you hear "Open Concept" :crazy:

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

you get really excited when you find an old time hardware store and cant wait to dig around to see what obsolete stock they might have!

(my neighbor found a new old stock cast heating register this way!)
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

you buy up collections of old screws and miscellaneous hardware at garage sales to compile the mother of all screw collections to prevent having to buy shiny new ones.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

phil wrote:you buy up collections of old screws and miscellaneous hardware at garage sales to compile the mother of all screw collections to prevent having to buy shiny new ones.

I have often wondered if there is an easy, and relatively safe chemical way to remove zinc from screws

Edit: answered my own question via the Googles http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ge ... hod-86057/
Mick...

Vala

Post by Vala »

jharkin wrote:You watch "This Old House" to learn what not to do.

Haha so true!

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Your evaluation at your day job (what you do for money) includes criticism of coming to work with paint in your hair and varnish stain under your fingernails. You once backed out of a rental agreement of an apartment in a fantastic location and good price because the place was "too new" and didn't feel right (built in 1960). You have never lived anywhere newer than 1920. You avoid interstate highways whenever possible so you can go thru centers of town to look at the old houses. You actually prefer claw tubs to showers, and compact dedicated kitchens with pantries where everything is at your finger tips and not on view for your guests to see (so you can leave dirty dishes in the sink for however long it takes to get to them).

phil

Post by phil »

you collect anything made of "old wood" because you'd rather work with that than "new wood" even if it requires removal of six layers of paint !

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

You wait an entire year before buying a TV because you refuse to put it anywhere in the original part of the house because it's not "period correct"! (True story... I am turning the old blacksmith shop with loft which is now connected to the house into my "normal person" living room because I can't stand the thought of anything non-period in my parlor.)

The dreaded winter ice/snow storms don't bother you a lick because your house is completely able to revert to the pre-electricity period--oil lamps, fireplaces, and wood cookstove!

Visitors won't sit down in your parlor because they say they feel like they are breaking all rules of a museum.

Vinyl windows are a curse word to you.

phil

Post by phil »

you can pull a sliver with your teeth without stopping your conversation.