You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by Jeepnstein »

Ever put a table cloth over the table saw, since it's in the dining room and all?

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

it slices cheese, chops carrots, You can use the fence to get those perfect lengths.and miter guage for the tricky angles to make perfectly cut vegetables that you can neatly stack and sticker. dovetail your kitchen into your workshop living space ;-) glue and paint and stuff keeps so well in the fridge. The dishwasher is a great steambox for those nasty window frames. The freezer is great for separating the wax from your new shellac mix. You can boil your metal bits to get the paint off and use the oven for that fresh baked on enamel finish. Its nice having the fume extractor handy when you work with contact cement and welding. If you put a grindstone on the arbor you can sharpen all the knives and forks and spoons and things to make wonderful paint scrapers. old stubborn paint that has separated in the can is no match for the smoothie maker. The toaster works so well for taking the paint off hinges, there is no better tool for cutting insulation than the bread knife. The sewing scissors that she hides in the top drawer are the best tin snips. Just don't get caught ;-)

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

....you show your wood to your neighbors.

I often walk around the entire house admiring my wood, touching and rubbing it. It may be old, but there is a lot of it, and its still in great shape.

And it smells nice too.

Just the other day a church going woman stopped by. She lives up the street, and she really wanted to see and also even feel my wood on the inside, so I obliged her. I was at the back door, but I didn't want to go in that way, so I went in the front with her, for the whole fulfilling experience.

She really liked it.

I might occasionally get plastered, like last night......

......but I would never plaster or drywall over these interior wood walls.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

Nicholas wrote:....you show your wood to your neighbors.

I often walk around the entire house admiring my wood, touching and rubbing it. It may be old, but there is a lot of it, and its still in great shape.

And it smells nice too.

Just the other day a church going woman stopped by. She lives up the street, and she really wanted to see and also even feel my wood on the inside, so I obliged her. I was at the back door, but I didn't want to go in that way, so I went in the front with her, for the whole fulfilling experience.

She really liked it.

I might occasionally get plastered, like last night......

......but I would never plaster or drywall over these interior wood walls.

I see what you did here.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

phil wrote:it slices cheese, chops carrots, You can use the fence to get those perfect lengths.and miter guage for the tricky angles to make perfectly cut vegetables that you can neatly stack and sticker. dovetail your kitchen into your workshop living space ;-) glue and paint and stuff keeps so well in the fridge. The dishwasher is a great steambox for those nasty window frames. The freezer is great for separating the wax from your new shellac mix. You can boil your metal bits to get the paint off and use the oven for that fresh baked on enamel finish. Its nice having the fume extractor handy when you work with contact cement and welding. If you put a grindstone on the arbor you can sharpen all the knives and forks and spoons and things to make wonderful paint scrapers. old stubborn paint that has separated in the can is no match for the smoothie maker. The toaster works so well for taking the paint off hinges, there is no better tool for cutting insulation than the bread knife. The sewing scissors that she hides in the top drawer are the best tin snips. Just don't get caught ;-)

The freezer is a great place to store your bagged paint roller, pan and brush(oil based only) for sake of a happy wife don't leave it longer than a month and never over the holidays. I've used a bread knife to cut insulation especially rock wool, I was encouraged to purchase my own "special" insulation cutting bread knife at Walmart.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

What ever works is the best tool Nhguy. I have several customized table knives and spoons for paint scraping. Upper management was not happy when she saw one of her good pots being used to clean paint from some hardware.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Gothichome wrote:What ever works is the best tool Nhguy. I have several customized table knives and spoons for paint scraping. Upper management was not happy when she saw one of her good pots being used to clean paint from some hardware.

I'll bet; upper management is very protective of her frying pans.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

In my house....what upper management doesn't know, can't hurt her......;-}
Etta says "WOOF"

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Ober51 wrote:
Nicholas wrote:....you show your wood to your neighbors.

I see what you did here.

Yea, now that I am reading it again, it looks like it could be taken the wrong way. But its true. The neighbor gave me a tour of her house, so I showed her ours.

Upper management here rolls her eyes a lot with my ideas, like keeping the '40s aqua green tub.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

My wife is not as enthralled with all my old house adventures, with that said I never use any of her kitchen tools, as I link that to a lasting marriage and more old house adventures for me!