You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: You Might Be an Old Home Owner if...

Post by SkipW »

/\ Like!
Etta says "WOOF"

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I know it, just waiting for a working extention to the software for this forum. Too old and busy to write one ;)
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

you might be an old home owner if you can smell your dirt basement from the second floor... :roll:
...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ya! Jade. Three quarters of Gothichome sits over dirt floors, all crawle space. Keep playing around with the thought of sealing with cement but cringe at the thought of the cost.

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Chevygirlalways wrote:You might be an old home owner if... People are curious that you may have a "ghost" at your old home!!!! :angel: Rarely someone doesn't ask :)

Susan

Related to this one...you might me an old home owner if people TELL you that you have a ghost. The neighborhood kids also told us the massive post-oak tree in the corner of the lot is haunted...

Makes sense because I call it "the vampire tree" and it steals my hat when I'm mowing the yard...it will also chuck horse-apples clear across the yard at me.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

gothic....well, at least there is head room and two windows in my basement...I have heavy plastic in some areas...I grew up in a ranch and my last house had a concrete floor, wood stove, a garage door, four windows (two full size double hungs!) and was 700 square feet of dry area with 7'6" ceiling! never had a dirt basement before gotta say, the dirt smell is not disgusting--kind of nice like creosote telephone poles and rail road ties smell nice.......

...jade

Don M

Post by Don M »

Our crawl space under the family room (former farm kitchen) is cemented and I believe done in 1964 when the house had a major renovation. The original floor & probably floor joists were replaced at the same time. The present kitchen has a solid brick floor on grade (no crawl space). The rest of the house has a decent cellar with concrete floors but we get spring water running thru it when the water table is high. ;)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

It's actually about rednecks not old house lovers but one can definitely make the comparison in many situations ;-)

Be aware some of it isn't suitable for children, but some are too funny not to read.
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_sep2011/ ... Quotes.htm

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

you might be an old house owner if you tell people you won't be able to entertain guests until about 2017 because the living room and then dining room are undergoing full on renovations.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

as my dad said about me. "he's owned the place 10 years now and he's been working on it and it's getting older ";-) he said that tongue in cheek knowing that I am doing a restoration , while many around me are undergoing the procedure where they lift it, rip everything but the studs out, and result in all new windows amongst all the other new stuff that makes them liveable but also boring, with many details lost forever.