Villa Brugmansia

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Villa Brugmansia

Post by Manalto »

When I closed up the house in Connecticut, even though I got rid of a lot of belongings, I brought quite a bit with me. These are items that I may use, such as clothing or furniture, items that needed editing once restoration is complete, such as artwork, lamps, and kitchen utensils, and lots of restoration supplies and equipment. Garage and shed are filled with tools and lumber. Anyway, suffice it to say that I have too much stuff jammed into my house to empty out a room for restoration.

Solution? Get more rooms! Two blocks up the street from me is a stucco bungalow the same vintage (1919) as Thornewood. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Villa Brugmansia:

I have moved dozens of times, and it has always been a tradition for me to name the house I'm living in. According to the self-imposed rule, the grandiosity of the name should be inversely proportional to that of the house. That is, the humbler the house, the snootier the name.

This house was lovingly restored by the Allen family and has one of the first marker plaques issued when the historic district was established, over 20 years ago, the Cross-Allen house, reflecting the names of the first and (then) current owner. The Allens died and the house went to the Bear family, (resulting in a mailbox with a fancy "B" on the side, and compelling the first letter of the new moniker.) They left, and it has since been a rental, suffering some neglect and insensitive design choices. It's not too far gone, though, and I think it can be brought back to respectable condition without too much effort (I hope). Anyway, it can hold my stuff so restoration may proceed on Thornewood.

I'm jumping the gun here. The house isn't mine yet. Inspection is tomorrow and closing not until November 6. Fingers crossed that all goes well. Then those silly shutters will be the first to go.

Neighmond

Re: Villa Brugmansia

Post by Neighmond »

We must see more!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I told you I was jumping the gun. It's a no-go. The inspector found fungus on 75% of the floor joists, some minor, some severe. Apparently the air conditioner has been draining under the house, and some jamoke had filled in between the piers with cinder blocks, so there was no air circulation. It would be expensive to repair and impossible to sell in this condition, even if it's arrested, as the current owner is finding out. I withdrew my offer based on this and a couple of other rotten-wood issues.

UPDATE:The seller, who is out of state, is claiming ignorance of the issues with the wood, and has asked for me to offer what I think is a fair price for the house in its current condition. I will get two estimates for repairs and, if they're in agreement, subtract the higher estimate from my offer figure, as there are always unseen costs. We'll see what happens.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, a garage sale might be n order, could be better for your wallet and your old home sanity 😁