Thornewood Antics

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Thornewood Antics

Post by Manalto »

A few years ago, I bought a sideboard for my dining room. Requirements were: oak, small enough for this modestly-sized room, and from an era corresponding to or earlier than the house (1918). I believe I've satisfied all three criteria but not able to come up with an approximate date of manufacture.

Sorry I don't have a full view of the piece, but renovations don't currently allow it. Here's another view, with some of the ornamentation at the back cleaned up. (The finish was dirty and degraded.) Not seen are the shelf and mirror that run the length of the top.

Any ideas on the age of this sideboard/buffet?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, I would think 1900 to 1910. So Edwardian.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Thank you, Ron. It fits right into Edwardian style. I see that clearly, after searching photos. Stubborn black contaminant in the varnish. Working on it.

ETA: Here's a view of the black "contaminant" (for want of a better word) in the finish on the top of the sideboard. The beautiful grain is beginning to emerge.

I'm not sure what the current thinking is regarding the stripping of antiques (it used to be a big no-no), but this piece would be hidden behind a cloudy, nearly-black surface, so I made the decision to clean it up.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I don't know if this would be an Edwardian move, but I decided that the detail on the "backsplash" (not sure about the correct term)might achieve a little dimension with some selective red mahogany stain.

I think the contrast will be more subtle after the piece is varnished. Good idea? What do you think?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, I think that’s exactly what they would have done at that time to bring a little pizzaz to the peice. As far as stripping I think with the give away price of run of the mill Victorian and Edwardian flat board furniture stripping and refinishing is not such a tabo thing. Now stripping and chalk painting the same should be a ticket to hell. But that’s just me.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

That's a lovely validation. Thank you, Ron. A cursory search advised that furniture made before 1850 shouldn't be refinished, which makes sense, considering it wouldn't have been mass-produced. I'm not suffering under any delusion that my sideboard is a fine antique, of course. Its humble origin and scale was just what I was looking for - it suits the house.

Here's that area with the shelf in place, and after a coat of shellac. I'm pleased with the results.

On to the main part of the piece!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, well looks great. The darker tone brings out the details of the raised carving. Also, the grain of the oak came out with great success, well done.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Dining room renovations have been put on hold for a couple of weeks until the arrival and departure of my houseguest. I found that I was feeling rushed, which is not conducive to good restoration work. I did manage to get the ceiling fixture hung.

I'm pleased with how it looks in the room. The amber-tinted, 40 watt (equivalent) LED bulbs are the old-timey style, clear glass that comes to a point. Once I find the dimmer switch and get it installed, it should provide a warm glow similar to candlelight.

Removing the paint from the brick fireplace surround was slow work, but a big improvement, I think.

My house is among many that were housing for employees of the shipbuilding company in town. In 1942, they were all "updated," which, I suspect, included painting the natural woodwork and interior brick surfaces. I don't know of a single house in town with unpainted (that is, shellacked) woodwork, and fireplace brick is painted white or some other color. I've been criticized for putting effort into removal of this paint. ("Too much work!") but I'm only half-way done and already happy with how it's coming along.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, a lot of work goes into cleaning paint off brick, your efforts are paying off. The fireplace once again looks to be the center of attraction, as it should be. The ceiling fixture, did you do the restoration, it looks grand.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Thank you. No, all I did was polish it and hang it up.
I'm having fun putting the elements of the room together, including the pictures, even though the walls have only primer. It keeps them safe (mirrors, especially) and out of the way. It's also a good dry run for how to set up the room, esthetically and practically.

Pictured here are two Thulin faience pieces from the era, probably destined for this mantel or the one in the parlor.