Some thing interesting

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Some thing interesting

Post by Gothichome »

Was browsing Archive. Com, this book of illustration from 1887 caught my eye.
https://archive.org/details/cu319240205 ... ew=theater
It is a folio of design motives suggested at that time. A lot of Aesthetic period influences as well as Gothic, classical, and Renaissance styled ornamentation.
We have several pieces of furniture with the illustrated motifs and some in Gothic homes plaster work.
Just thought it might be of interest to those of us with Victorians
Ron

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Some thing interesting

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Thanks for the link. Many interesting engravings in that book.

In addition to the Renaissance, Gothic, Tudor, and Norman revivals, by the 1880s, there was getting to be a renewed interest in Neoclassicism and its elements and that's apparent from some of the engravings. It seems like Neoclassical design went dormant rather suddenly in the late 1830s/early 1840s in favor of Gothic revival.

Gothichome

Re: Some thing interesting

Post by Gothichome »

Colonial, yes, it’s my observation that the classic neoclassical or palladium style wained with the rise of Gothic. Saying this the neoclassical inspirations were still very present in commercial structures such as banks, and in the US churches and large civil buildings. Were as in Canada most of the civic building were built in the gothic style, buildings such as town halls and most definitely churches of all denominations although banks and financial institutions still (for the most part) retained the neoclassical. I think the neoclassical much favoured by financial institutions was probably a deliberate attempt to demonstrate stability in the entity.
As far as residential construction ,in Canada at the time of this publication the neoclassical was all but dead in favour of the Gothic revival not to be seen again into the first quarter of the twentieth century.