Unique/interesting lighting styles (plug-in) you search for outside of stained/leaded/slag?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Unique/interesting lighting styles (plug-in) you search for outside of stained/leaded/slag?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

SouthBend - I've scanned a 1903 Sears Roebuck Electrical Goods and Supplies catalog from my personal library. It has quite a few illustrations of electric and combination fixtures that are very typical of the styling during the era your house was built. PM me and I'll send it to your email.

SouthBend
Settling in

Re: Unique/interesting lighting styles (plug-in) you search for outside of stained/leaded/slag?

Post by SouthBend »

1918ColonialRevival wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm SouthBend - I've scanned a 1903 Sears Roebuck Electrical Goods and Supplies catalog from my personal library. It has quite a few illustrations of electric and combination fixtures that are very typical of the styling during the era your house was built. PM me and I'll send it to your email.
Greatly appreciated. PM'd.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:59 am{snip}Lily, the embossed paper is still available it is generally referred to as anaglipta, very expensive and a nice period touch. Southbend, the fellow who restored your home didn’t compromise on the details.
*scribbles note to look up later* I will look into that. Thanks!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

SouthBend wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:09 pm{snip}Here's the other types of fixtures on both floors of the house. Have a feeling at least 2 of them aren't original for sure. The one labeled Hall is the area at the top of the stairs that the rooms open into; 5 of those lights.
Thank you for the additional images. The dining globes, bath and kitchen bubble sconces are my favorite, but they're all stunning. :D I have two clear globes I picked up awaiting purpose that have a similar sort of bubble look on the exterior, but not the fluting. The one globe I thought I might be able to use for the ceiling shade in our bedroom because it had none when we moved in, but it's not quite large enough to fit on the hardware the fixture has.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

SouthBend
Settling in

Post by SouthBend »

Manalto wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:10 pm Hi South Bend, You've got some nice looking lamps. One style that I'm fond of is commonly called a student lamp. It's a classic style that endured for generations. Originally, the cylindrical tank would hold kerosene or lamp oil; today they're usually electrified, as you see here. (The leaded glass shade is not typical for this style of lamp; I particularly like the versions with a cased glass shade in green or butterscotch.)

I ended up taking your advice lol. Was at an antique store last week and came across what I'm guessing is a later reproduction with only an inner hurricane shade (not sure if these are even supposed to have these). It was only $40 or something though so grabbed it and went on eBay where my wife picked out the green 7" fitter.

In the "oil reservoir" is a big hollow/dished chunk of lead that's seems like it's there only for counterweight? Just doesn't seem quite right so I'm guessing it's not that old. The material of the oil container all seems very brittle and wants to split/crack downwards when you go to put the cap on.

Overall will be a good learning experience.
Attachments
PXL_20210528_033520658.jpg
PXL_20210528_033520658.jpg (150.96 KiB) Viewed 729 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

When these lamps ran on oil, the hurricane shade served the dual function of regulating oxygen, causing it to burn more brightly and, of course, blocked drafts. On the authentic ones, the height of the lamp and reservoir assembly is sometimes adjustable on that center post. I like the fact that the design allows for a pool of light off-center; it's a convenient place for me to study for my phrenology degree. :roll:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James what have you discovered in your new interest, flat earthers tend to have a flatter cranium, gear heads have wheel shaped craniums or old home folks tend to have dusty craniums with irregular corners and a slight draft blowing between the ears?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southbend, your students lamp was definitely born as an electric. Most oil students lamps had a cased glass shade, often seen in green. The cased glass would reflect some of the light downward giving a bit of a brighter light over the book, the coloured casing glass would diffuse the light coming out of the shade so as not to distract the eye.

SouthBend
Settling in

Post by SouthBend »

To confirm, we bought the green shade separately that is on it, but regardless you think that it was born electric? When you say cased glass you mean like this I assume? If so I'll be sure to keep an eye on eBay for when the lamp ends up on a desk but needed some well displaced light at the moment.
Attachments
06001Color_11.jpg
06001Color_11.jpg (157.54 KiB) Viewed 710 times

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Gothichome wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:44 pm Southbend, your students lamp was definitely born as an electric. Most oil students lamps had a cased glass shade, often seen in green. The cased glass would reflect some of the light downward giving a bit of a brighter light over the book, the coloured casing glass would diffuse the light coming out of the shade so as not to distract the eye.
I concur, but I also will say that it isn't new. Student lamp replicas like this were popular in the 1950s and 1960s and I think that's probably about how old this one is. I seem to remember seeing a similar lamp on the set of the original Leave it to Beaver, but I can't remember if it was in Wally and the Beaver's room or in Mr. Cleaver's study.

SouthBend - the green shade you posted is like what went on the original student lamps of the late 19th/early 20th Century. By the way - did you get the dropbox link I sent you for the catalog scan?