1940s house remodel

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
annibiotic
Just Arrived

1940s house remodel

Post by annibiotic »

I got my grandparents house built in 1940. I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it, and I think it has potential. Here's the catch: some sketchy people lived in it because of unfortunate circumstances and destroyed the house I had always loved. It has also been mostly uncared for for the better part of 50 years (when my great-grandparents passed). It was heartbreaking to go back in and see the damage. I'm taking the first steps towards getting it fixed up (new roof, electrical). I'm writing in to ask for any advice about starting out. I'm thinking "don't destroy this" or "keep an eye out for this possible feature." The contractors I've had look at it have told me the only reason it's still standing is because of its construction with unfinished lumber and good building practices. I attached a few pictures. I''m very embarrassed about the condition of the house, but please view with the knowledge that I'm going to put in whatever it takes to get her back!! Thank you so much for your time. I'm a student and on an extremely limited budget if that helps. Any do it yourself project ideas to let the character of the house shine through would also be appreciated very much.
Attachments
050B50ED-7CEE-4A26-868B-E7E4247B475E_1_105_c.jpeg
050B50ED-7CEE-4A26-868B-E7E4247B475E_1_105_c.jpeg (151.24 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
D0D15CD1-5C98-48FB-BA7F-7EB18DE53290_1_105_c.jpeg
D0D15CD1-5C98-48FB-BA7F-7EB18DE53290_1_105_c.jpeg (139.47 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
3FF5FB19-4808-4597-B2F0-2CF0B738B65D_1_105_c.jpeg
3FF5FB19-4808-4597-B2F0-2CF0B738B65D_1_105_c.jpeg (99.16 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
900C3B18-DD5F-49BF-A484-C3196F2C2C35_1_105_c.jpeg
900C3B18-DD5F-49BF-A484-C3196F2C2C35_1_105_c.jpeg (136.08 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
BC1A4E29-653E-499F-B675-9B747A7F9553_1_105_c.jpeg
BC1A4E29-653E-499F-B675-9B747A7F9553_1_105_c.jpeg (157.16 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
0516AE5C-70C7-4E0A-BEB7-7C99073EED48_1_105_c.jpeg
0516AE5C-70C7-4E0A-BEB7-7C99073EED48_1_105_c.jpeg (162.71 KiB) Viewed 1545 times
FD565197-02B6-43AB-835D-254F7C09CFD6_1_105_c.jpeg
FD565197-02B6-43AB-835D-254F7C09CFD6_1_105_c.jpeg (179.61 KiB) Viewed 1545 times

annibiotic
Just Arrived

Re: 1940s house remodel

Post by annibiotic »

Another question, does anyone know what style this house would be? I've been scouring pinterest for ideas because I want to remodel her as close as I am able to the original style.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Hi Anni and welcome. There is a catch-all term for your kind of house: vernacular. Others may chime in with more specific style information but vernacular is a good way to describe functional architecture characteristic of a particular region.

Being a student with an eye on the budget can indeed be an asset. Your restoration will be careful. The risk of impulsive spending that you later regret is low. You have the advantage of the ability to invest "sweat equity." You don't have an ornate Victorian house requiring elaborate repairs so much of your restoration will be done with simple materials and techniques. If your windows are original, restore them. If they're not then see if you can find suitable replacements made of wood.

Can you track down any photographs showing the interior and yard as they were years ago? That's a good point of reference when trying to bring the house back to its former self.

Keep us posted on your progress, ask questions, and don't forget we love photos here. Your mission is a noble one and all the more significant because this house is part of your history.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Anni, did the tenants do all that damage or have you started? The home as James has pointed out would best be described as vernacular suburban tract house. There are probably many in your area looking pretty similar.
With nothing really fancy to preserve and the damage I think a complete gut is in order. Then rebuild using period ideas and styles. Start hunting for period fixtures and the like, if you’re really lucky you might find some vitroliite for the kitchen. Starting with the roof is a great first step, with out a weather tight roof any thing done inside will just be ruined.
Welcome to the District, I look forward to watching your progress.
Ron

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

No need to be embarrassed. Despite it's condition, it's a cute house with potential.

The door/window casing has simple lines that fit with the house. Salvage what you can (if it's not too much work) and it should be relatively easy to reproduce what's missing or damaged. The base molding might be harder to match/reproduce.

I agree with others that you might want a full gut. It'll be a lot easier/cheaper for the electrical and plumbing because you're treating it like new construction.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

looks like you have holes in some walls so assess the electrical system you wan tproper grounding and wiring. water and drains are important too.

you can pull the plaster and lath or if it's just a little hole you can also put drywall over the lath. changing the wall thickness may affect how some casements and trim fit.

sometimes it's worth fixing the lath but i wouldn't take that path, best to put your effort into places that show.

whether you go room by room or start really tearing in and rent a bin for the stuff you pull out might be a decision. Personally Id aim towards going room by room and getting each to a painted stage, but don't do the floors until later.

that way you will be creating clean space and having a clean escape from the project is helpful. putting more on your plate than you can handle may add to the stress level. accomplishing stuff will help so first I'd look after wiring , insulation and then try to get the drywall on. leave the trim alone but if you pull it off and it's good save it. even if it's painted.

If you have the budget the boarders and tapers can go really fast but if that's not in the budget at least the materials to do the drywall will not be astronomical.

watch the free ads in your area. I check frequently and every now and then I spot some free materials that I can use. If I need new stuff , even drywall I will first look for leftovers. I look in materials in craigslist too even post wanted ads for stuff.
Don't bring a bunch of offcuts of drywall home and try not to buy new drywall and insulation until you have a place to install it ready. they take space.

I go in Lowes and if there are sheets of drywall that have damaged corners I ask the manager and he will sell them half price. ive used lefovers of lots of stuff where contractors bought a little too much. insulation drywall half my roof shingles , even vintage casings and doors..

its best to buy new materials as you need but if you get free stuff or leftovers then you can often accommodate the materials you have on hand and try to use them up. Just try not to hoard stuff if you can't use it. dont pack the place. I try not to buy ahead too far. leftover primer for a first coat , sure !
some weird color , no thanks. be selective.

what do I do next? look around, what do I have onhand that needs to be used up? pick that if it makes sense. in other words you save money by allowing the free or discount materials to govern your sequence so long as it's somewhat sensible and not taking you too far off track. this gives time for free materials for the project you would have chosen to be next to come up. If waiting is slowing your process then ok buy new but just enough for this week..

I find with a little looking and a few wild goose chases being par for the course, I can get enough to keep myself working. garage sales, that box of miscellaneous nails and screws.. If you can buy it used and you will use it then do. those trips to the hardware store add up. even if I want new stuff it's a trip out but if I wait to buy it I might find it cheaper in the meantime. Its no less efficient ot pick up freebies than to go to home depot and pay through the nose. even if they aren't free you dont pay tax or maybe get it half price of new.

I think when you get the walls buttoned up you'll feel like you are on the right track and making progress. That's huge. try not to get into a million things at once.

wear a mask when you are stripping and cleaning that old dust is bad for you.

id aim for one clean room with a coffee pot, paint on the walls, finished ceiling, and a couple of chairs where you can chill and take a visitor. then build from that. when you are sick of drywall dust you'll want a little refuge.

the roof is major. it took me the past three summers and I'm still finishing up a few bits on mine. that's a huge start.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Welcome to the District! :wave:

This will not be something you make whole in a year. Accept that now, and it will help gird you for what's ahead. Take a bit of time to look at other's folks' posts here where they have done extensive restoration as you will be doing to get an idea of how long even an experienced hand can take working alone and with funds to get supplies in short order. That will help give you perspective, and will make it easier to accept something that will long face you in the months and possibly years ahead--the waiting. Waiting for a contractor to finally show up, waiting for the right free tile lot find, waiting to paint the walls even when you are sick to death of primer everywhere, etc. Consider your skill level, your free time, your budget, and that can help you set more realistic expectations of progress so you won't get easily discouraged. Always feel free to post here when you need some :happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:!

I agree with Ron that starting with the roof is a sound first project. Electrical is also a good second. (Mechanicals in general are usually good starting points so long as the structure is sound as yours fortunately is.) If you plan to use that fireplace--get it inspected. Especially if you're going to rely on it for heat short or long term.

I also concur about getting one room and bath done to give you liveable spaces while you do the other work (and can escape from same when needed). The room and bath do not have to be completed down to the last detail, just get them to a stage where they are clean and functional. (i.e. if you can live with a lino remnant in the bath for now, then you can save for the flooring you really want later or if doing the tiling just right will simply eat up a lot of time when you could be finishing making your kitchen functional sorts of things.) You can always do dishes in a bathroom sink if need be shorter term while you work on the kitchen, just don't forget to get an insert strainer (they can be lifted from the drain to easily clean bits in them)--they're a few bucks and will save you having to clean out the trap from the build up of what you couldn't scrape off before washing. Trim, final paint colors, and all the period details you decide on can come later which will also give you a chance to change your mind as you make the house your own. If you plan to regularly haunt your local ReStore, other second hand/salvage shops, and Freecycle/Craig's List what you find you like there may also shape the direction you ultimately head in too.

Depending on where your home is, insulation is likely another good thing to give early focus. If you're in an area that does get extreme hot or cold, your utility bills will be lowered significantly enough that the insulation will pay for itself rather quickly in the coming years. Do the attic first, then the walls if you can (esp if you do decide to remove the lathe & plaster). There are guides online that will tell you the recommended amount of insulation for your area. Check to see if your government has programs that help fund such, especially for lower income homeowners (you are a student, so I'm assuming--apologies if I shouldn't be). There are also often tax rebates for all manner of energy efficiency measures (both the building and appliances).

As to how much original to keep, lathe and plaster repair to the extent some of the rooms will need is not for the faint of heart and although re-plastering can be learned, it's not a quick pick up like drywall is. Related, we didn't know this until we went to get homeowner's insurance, but some agencies charge a bit more on homes with lathe & plaster because if the home is damaged it's more labor intensive--we love ours and the cost difference wasn't crazy.

Given the two homes that can be seen a bit flanking yours in the one shot, the neighborhood may have been worker cottages, hence the tight lot lines and long buildings. Your location is a likely clue to style even if your grands built it since similar homes are nearby. Many may have been "updated", but look for those without the updates as they may give you the best clues. Does your town have a Historical Society? Talk to them for info. Folks already mentioned using whatever old pictures you might have. Also see what property records you can find through your city hall or county because they may indicate style(s) common to the area even when hand built without plans. If you have a local paper that somehow has managed to stay in business, ask how far their records go back in case they might have exterior pictures you do not. Also check your library in case there are any pictures from the neighborhood that you don't have similar views of outdoors. (Sometimes there are pictures taken down a particular street, for instance if someone wrote a book or pamphlet about the town.) Even neighbors might have some pics that show your house in the background too, or if their families were ever over for a dinner or such.

We do love pictures, James is definitely on point there. You can make a free gallery here through your User Control Panel. There's two threads in the Clerk of Works subforum, one about how to post pics from there in posts you make on this forum, and another about how to link to another post on this forum in case you ever want to reference another thread.

Best of luck, and I look forward to your updates when time allows.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.