Some thing to look at with your morning tea

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Some thing to look at with your morning tea

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Gothichome wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:05 am Both those homes have survived intact, that’s great to hear. In the first picture, the home has a what looks to be a side entrance set back on the left. Access to the kitchen or a mother in-law wing?
I was wondering about that myself. It looks like there's a ramp going up to it and a double-doored loft directly above. Maybe a carriage house?

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

1918ColonialRevival wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:56 am
Gothichome wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:05 am Both those homes have survived intact, that’s great to hear. In the first picture, the home has a what looks to be a side entrance set back on the left. Access to the kitchen or a mother in-law wing?
I was wondering about that myself. It looks like there's a ramp going up to it and a double-doored loft directly above. Maybe a carriage house?
The large Victorian is a huge house. The carriage house, which is two floors, you see with ramp is a connected ell. There is a two story wing off the back connected too the main house. I'm not sure about the doorway to the left as I have not been inside the house. I know a previous owner added an indoor pool wing out to the back right.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

so It is a carriage shed. And attached to the home. It would make sense, there would have been a small pasture to that side of the house. Drive into the shed, unhitch the horse and send it on into the pasture. Above the shed would be hay storage, thus the double barn doors.. I have seen homes of this vintage with original drive threw carriage houses, even viewed one for sale while looking for our perfect old home, it did not though have above shed hay storage. The shed was attached to the home via a short enclosed passageway. Maybe that is what the rear extension is or was, an enclosed breezeway.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Gothichome wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:18 am so It is a carriage shed. And attached to the home. It would make sense, there would have been a small pasture to that side of the house. Drive into the shed, unhitch the horse and send it on into the pasture. Above the shed would be hay storage, thus the double barn doors.. I have seen homes of this vintage with original drive threw carriage houses, even viewed one for sale while looking for our perfect old home, it did not though have above shed hay storage. The shed was attached to the home via a short enclosed passageway. Maybe that is what the rear extension is or was, an enclosed breezeway.
The house to the left of this home is probably 20 years newer. So once automobiles were the norm they sold the pasture lot to the left? Just a guess of course.