Some thing to look at with your morning tea

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Some thing to look at with your morning tea

Post by Gothichome »

Found this site while sipping my morning tea. Did you know there was a antique door knob collecting association, no? well there is.
https://www.antiquedoorknobs.us/a-10400.html
The site has hundreds if not thousands of antique door knobs with descriptions. The site is only organized in pages, and I didn’t notice a search option. You will need to go through each page to find any specific design. But it seems to be a world of good information for those of us who are interested for our old homes. Or those of us who have no life other than our old homes. :lolno:

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Some thing to look at with your morning tea

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Interesting. There are quite a few designs there that I've never seen in pictures or catalogs, let alone in the wild. Thanks for posting - I know I'll spend several hours going through these.

I'm actually looking at it with my evening tea (chamomile and valerian root blend) - hope that counts! :D

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

It looks like they even have a convention. Probably a sorted bunch. I wonder if they have leather jackets ? ;-)

phil

Post by phil »

I used to be able to do some fairly pointed searches and uncover a lot of data from the internet, but as times changed and large corporations took control of how the web and browsers work, I find myself frustrated because the results often point to ads or websites that need confirmations to sign in, accept cookies and other tracking methods, so what used to be casual surfing seemed to be complicated by always needing input.

I've been looking around a bit on the internet archives website and noting that they have a lot of free downloads, particularly stuff that is dated and so not within a copyright. I'm still sot of learning how to use it and how to search it. Some of it might be only readable and not to copy or may expire but I think there is a lot of info here.

in case you want a second cup of tea ; -)

https://archive.org/

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

phil wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:10 pm I used to be able to do some fairly pointed searches and uncover a lot of data from the internet, but as times changed and large corporations took control of how the web and browsers work, I find myself frustrated because the results often point to ads or websites that need confirmations to sign in, accept cookies and other tracking methods, so what used to be casual surfing seemed to be complicated by always needing input.

I've been looking around a bit on the internet archives website and noting that they have a lot of free downloads, particularly stuff that is dated and so not within a copyright. I'm still sot of learning how to use it and how to search it. Some of it might be only readable and not to copy or may expire but I think there is a lot of info here.

in case you want a second cup of tea ; -)

https://archive.org/
I love archive.org such an interesting place to wander about. It can be challenging to find things, but when you do...wow. I found this picture recently of a neighboring house on archive.org. You can see our house as a Victorian sticking on on the left. The people who own the house recently moved in from out of state. I stopped in last week introducing myself then giving a copy of the picture. I emailed the image to them over the weekend. Needless to say they were thrilled. Fun stuff.
elmstreethouse 2.jpg
elmstreethouse 2.jpg (152.58 KiB) Viewed 921 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Colonial, I prefer earl grey but only for morning.
Phill, I have spent many an hour researching archiv.org.
NH, I bet they were thrilled. Nice of you to introduce yourself. Did they have a plan for their new old home?

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

The new owner is a contractor and have already repaired most of the plaster using plaster washers, so I count that as a win for the house. At the moment they are using it as a weekend house, but are planning to transition here full time, that's about all I know so far. It could be a real showstopper

phil

Post by phil »

that a beautiful house and you were kind to go out of your way in their interest.

sometimes I pick up free thigns on craigslist. I once went to a house only to realize my mom and dad had owned and lifted it back in the 50's when they just got married.
I found the bill of sale , it went from about 5,000 to two million or so. I keep meaning to pass it on to them as at this point. maybe it should be their document and part of the history of the place.
The lady there was nice too. I certainly wouldn't mind speaking to her again. she had worked hard on it and didn't know it had been lifted. I retold her the story about mom digging out the basement a wheelbarrow at a time , while pregnant. dad hired house lifters and they called him at work ( he was a carpenter but on a different job) they asked him if he wanted to straighten the house so he said sure. he got home to find all the plaster cracked and had to do a lot of wall fixing, wished he'd just left it crooked.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

phil wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:02 pm that a beautiful house and you were kind to go out of your way in their interest.

sometimes I pick up free thigns on craigslist. I once went to a house only to realize my mom and dad had owned and lifted it back in the 50's when they just got married.
I found the bill of sale , it went from about 5,000 to two million or so. I keep meaning to pass it on to them as at this point. maybe it should be their document and part of the history of the place.
The lady there was nice too. I certainly wouldn't mind speaking to her again. she had worked hard on it and didn't know it had been lifted. I retold her the story about mom digging out the basement a wheelbarrow at a time , while pregnant. dad hired house lifters and they called him at work ( he was a carpenter but on a different job) they asked him if he wanted to straighten the house so he said sure. he got home to find all the plaster cracked and had to do a lot of wall fixing, wished he'd just left it crooked.
I found that picture by accident as I was researching a house owned by a friends great grandfather. I did find this home in this same book, the title was houses of famous men of NH or something like that anyway. I also found the house my friend lives in currently as well, as it is quite a beautiful 1813 house. I'm always a little hesitant to offer things as not everyone has the level of interest I do or probably of most of us on this site. It is always gratifying to boost someone's interest in an old building. I had that happen to me several times in the past and was thrilled to have old photographs, plus the stories that came with them. Once I had the technology, I scanned them for the local historical society and made sure the new owner had copies when we sold. I found another picture of a different neighbors house last year. Once again our house as a two story Victorian was in view to the left.
Our House and Rich and Pidy.jpg
Our House and Rich and Pidy.jpg (315.05 KiB) Viewed 872 times
On a side note the neighbor whose house is pictured is the same one that gave me the stain formula I posted a few years ago. Today this house still has the same dark stain as when built in 1900ish. The first owner of this house worked for Sherwin Williams in sales and it was his formula. Blah, blah blah. I'm sure you've heard enough. lol.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Both those homes have survived intact, that’s great to hear. In the first picture, the home has a what looks to be a side entrance set back on the left. Access to the kitchen or a mother in-law wing?