My window anomaly

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: My window anomaly

Post by Lily left the valley »

Forgot to say...in my hometown (summer beach, but had a big fishing community in its heyday), same thing. Torn down or blown up, like the quaint cottage next door that the owner decided needed to be bigger because now his kids were bringing back their kids. Despite it being a double lot, they built up, and given the proximity to my grands' house, always looked like such a weird mistake to plop something so huge into a lot so small with the empty lot right next to it (and next to no plantings or anything, just mowed grass).

To be fair, my grandparents did also add on, but behind the house, knocking down the size of their kitchen garden to almost half. (Departed grands' house to the left, neighbor mentioned to the right. More family history, if you look to the house on the corner to the left of my grands, facing the same way with the white picket fence, that's the house my Nana grew up in. Now if you swing to the kitty corner and go to the third house in that was my Dad's grandmom's summer house though she later lived there year round until she passed.)

If you tool around from that street view, you'll see what remains intact of my old neighborhood at least outside and what is now upmuddled or gone if a huge monster with a raised driveway is there--new flooding rules. Oh, and that street between my grands and great grands? Used to be a dead end til they filled the small swamp we used to skate on in winter, and made a road through so they could add more houses. So many pilings (and deep!) they needed for those houses--the first of which had to get torn down because it was sinking, then repiled then rebuilt.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I think it's been a trend over the past 20 - 30 years that people have less appreciation for antiques, and our houses are basically antiques. not many put value and work into restoring old furniture and other antiquities. in days past families cherished their antiques and passed them from generation to generation.
as with other antiques. People just dont find the time or get the pleasure and prestige of restorations. We understand it as a group but these things are less important to the younger generations.
perhaps a time will come when people have a renewed appreciation of things of old, and perhaps during that time many will be thrown out, like the antique dining room tables that you can get for a dime a dozen because no one has space. or maybe marble counters look nicer to them in the living room.
I need to remodel my bathroom, I could go to an antique tub and old sink but if I were to then put my house up for sale , the new fixtures would probably be the favorable choice from strictly an economic standpoint. If I choose to do something authentic to the age it would add to the heritage value of the home.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I'm hoping that this whole "cottage core" movement brings renewed appreciation for old houses. :)

Also people wanting to move out of cities and only being able to afford small beauties. Hopefully these folks have a lick of sense and can appreciate them -- hey, anything kept out of the hands of most flippers is a win in my book!
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

GinaC wrote:I'm hoping that this whole "cottage core" movement brings renewed appreciation for old houses. :)

Also people wanting to move out of cities and only being able to afford small beauties. Hopefully these folks have a lick of sense and can appreciate them -- hey, anything kept out of the hands of most flippers is a win in my book!

I 100% agree Gina.