saved some old sashes

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

saved some old sashes

Post by phil »

I saw a sign that this guy had some old sashes for free. I did get them, quite a few since it was a little apartment. but they aren't very big. I checked through the pile and they all have these weird lifting counterweight spring mechanisms. they consist of a twisted metal strip and there is a spring , so they act like a counterweight but dont need the counterweight pocket. I thought I might use some of the latches but upon inspection they all seem pretty worn out and never were good quality. I was surprised at least most of them were intact although ready to just break. I hoped some would have wavy glass since they were old looking fir frames, but upon inspection, the glass doesn't seem to have much wave to it. they all have flaky old paint. I think I should take them to the dump but in case anyone needs these window lifting thingys , I could perhaps salvag some. I thought maybe I could cut them up for some of the fir, but the pieces that would be left are hardly worth salvaging. I think the guy that gave them away got the best end of the deal ;-)

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: saved some old sashes

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I once rented a house many years ago that had similar window mechanisms. The house was built in the late '30s/early '40s if memory serves me correct.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

You might try offering them for free. The ones I installed in my shed, hinged at the top to swing inward, are this type. The rest (and there were a lot) were originally intended for the sleeping porch but got preempted by the casements. For some reason, my neighbor wanted all of them which saved me a trip to the dump.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:I once rented a house many years ago that had similar window mechanisms. The house was built in the late '30s/early '40s if memory serves me correct.

I guess the windows were made after they perfected glassmaking but while they still used traditional sash design. I don't know the exact year but in that time period somewhere.