Art Deco is a hundred years old,

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Art Deco is a hundred years old,

Post by Gothichome »

This came up on one of my feeds. I have not given it a thought till now. Art Deco is now the new batch of century homes.
https://www.art-critique.com/en/2020/02 ... d8Famfz3hk
This little article is a pretty good overview of the style and it’s development. Even more reason to save our old homes.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Art Deco is a hundred years old,

Post by JacquieJet »

Wow! Thanks for the link. I love art deco.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

JJet, I also like the Art Deco look. I lean though to Victorian and Art Nouveau. I think at my age I am not up for the pace of stream lined speed.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I love art deco, my house is 1924 but Ive always felt that wasnt' really art deco. Because I collect radios and they had their heyday from early 20's to recent most of the ones I like and collect fall around early 30's and reflect all sorts of industrial design. Now they are becoming true antiques if your definition of an antique is 100 years.
I thought less of the late 60's early 70's when cars were square and I suppose the designs seemed modern then I never got really thrilled to the same extent with that trend. Im often see things advertised as antiques when they are actually "Eams era or mid century modern" I think a lot of the value of art was lost through to now. Look at he cars on the road. I dont find it exciting or new or creative or fancy. the PT cruiser seemed a bit creative and maybe some others. I do appreciate things that are utilitarian in design and I look into peoples cars as I drive and think gee Id hate to have a computer screen shining in my face when I drive. they are anything but utilitarian with all the silly unnecessary electrical gizmos that seem intended to prevent continued use through obsolescence of necessary parts. To me that just means unnecessary waste so I drive 30 year old stuff..
I dont mind mixing antiques. Its fun to have differences in design so I dont feel compelled to make everything match a certain era.

I had a little party for family at christmas. my sister in law who never seems to edit her own thoughts said oh this chair is too big for me. I laughed and looked around as everyone had a completely different style of chair and said well I tried to give you choices ;-) conformity is boring and Ikea is more Chinese than Swedish

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:... my sister in law who never seems to edit her thoughts said "oh this chair is too big for me."

How is that a problem? Does she request the middle seat between two obese people when she flies?

Art Deco is a beautiful style; it's exuberant and clean when done well. I see evidence of it in some public buildings as late as the early 1950's. The 'International Style' eclipsed it, unfortunately, with a flood of generic looking cheap knock-offs.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Maybe modern people dont look at art with the same importance with so many distractions , cell phones, etc. Art and carving and objects of beauty have been cherished by all societies throughout history. One may think our modern inventions would give more time for creative process. If I look at buying "stuff" I find I am being sold on "features" many of them things I'll never need or use. I find that when I compare old advertising to new, quality and longevity was much more evident in advertising than today. Bragging about the quality of a product has become less important to consumers with a throwaway mentality I suppose. a Keureg wont save me any time , not really, I can make a whole pot in the time it takes one to make a cup, with a lot less cost and waste yet the isles are filled with the things because the perception is that they are time efficient. Everything has a clock included. you dont need another clock? , well we include one as an added bonus. Yea! now I have 5 on my counter, cool because my time is important.