1920s kitchen cabinets

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

1920s kitchen cabinets

Post by Manalto »

A Craigslist posting I happened upon today for 1920s cabinets.

Here's the link for the rest of the ad. Some nice hardware up close.

https://nwct.craigslist.org/mat/d/pine- ... 81261.html

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: 1920s kitchen cabinets

Post by Willa »

Oh yeah ! If you need them, go grab them. Some might quibble about the price as they need a good cleaning at the least. (I think the price is decent, esp. if they a good fit for where they need to go. Obviously the price will vary depending on the market - middle of nowhere where no one would ever consider re-using these : folks will squawk at the price. Trendy urban salvage shop in a city where everything is dear : dirt cheap in this context.)

You can't get this much cabinet at Ikea for this price, and certainly not "built" ones made from solid wood. Use them as is after a good scrubbing, give them a coat of fresh paint, or strip them down to the original wood: all reasonable options.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

The add has been deleted so I would assume they have been sold. The down side to this though is a nice period kitchen is being dismantled, the up side of course is another old home is being put back together, I hope.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:The add has been deleted so I would assume they have been sold. The down side to this though is a nice period kitchen is being dismantled, the up side of course is another old home is being put back together, I hope.

Maybe James snapped them up ? If so, he better tell us all about it !

At least the seller was selling them vs just trashing them. Kitchens and bathrooms are always the first casualties of home renovation. I'm grateful to everyone who salvaged house parts then sold them to me via Kijiji, CL, etc. Those home reno shows are really skewed towards hateful destruction vs careful removal for re-use by someone else. Some of the parts I bought came from a house in poor condition that was going to be demolished - others from a clueless seller replacing a slightly damaged stained glass window with new vinyl windows (fact: it would have cost less to have the stained glass professionally repaired than the new terrible window unit cost).

The small upside is that if the seller is tearing out the kitchen a buyer can always ask if they have more house parts they are getting rid of. There may be a small windfall in other vintage parts like light fixtures, towel bars, doorknobs and who knows what ?

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Willa wrote:
The small upside is that if the seller is tearing out the kitchen a buyer can always ask if they have more house parts they are getting rid of. There may be a small windfall in other vintage parts like light fixtures, towel bars, doorknobs and who knows what ?

Yes! This is actually how I got about 90% of the lighting for my house. I came across an ad for solid wood doors, and in the background of the photo it looked like there were renovations going on. I messaged them and said "well, I see you are selling doors... I don't need those, but by chance are you getting rid of any old light fixtures in your renovation?" and they literally sold me 4 big boxes of fixtures- everything the house had. Apparently, this poor house was being gutted to the studs.
The light fixtures are gorgeous, and I got a great deal on them, too.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

often if I get free things I ask them when I see them in person, "what is it you are looking for or interested in ?" you never know. oftn if htye are giving stuff away they are also hoarders. I'd really like to find a furnace that is a bit newer but I'm not into paying thousands. Lots get taken out in demos when they are perfectly fine. sometimes I see posts for house demos but often they happen quickly and without any advertising. Old lighting fixtures are more scarce out west I think.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I am buying two windows that a homeowner took out of his 1920s house to add a door. They were taken out intact, and include the sash weights and everything! I am thrilled, because I have two windows in the closed-in porch that aren't original. They're crappy windows; won't stay open, can't take the sashes out because of the weather stripping. I started to paint them but realized the wood is rotting. They're an odd size, though, and I couldn't believe that the windows I found are THE EXACT SIZE I NEED. And he wanted only $50 for both. Now I just have to find someone to install them!

Sorry, James, but your post got hijacked. Too bad!
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

awomanwithahammer wrote:I am buying two windows that a homeowner took out of his 1920s house to add a door. They were taken out intact, and include the sash weights and everything! I am thrilled, because I have two windows in the closed-in porch that aren't original. They're crappy windows; won't stay open, can't take the sashes out because of the weather stripping. I started to paint them but realized the wood is rotting. They're an odd size, though, and I couldn't believe that the windows I found are THE EXACT SIZE I NEED. And he wanted only $50 for both. Now I just have to find someone to install them!

Sorry, James, but your post got hijacked. Too bad!

Perfect !

(But DID James buy these cabinets ? No yes or no's ?)

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:But DID James buy these cabinets ?

No, I just thought they were worth a look.

Bonnie, congratulations on finding the right kind of replacement windows. To have the pulleys and weights included is unusual. Good going!