Survey: Which direction should the shower door swing?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Survey: Which direction should the shower door swing?

Post by Manalto »

This is a sketch of my upstairs bathroom. The red "S" indicates the shower and the red "XOX" indicates the plumbing. Entrance to the bathroom is at the bottom of the sketch.

Which way would you have the shower door (?) swing - hinge on the left (above the ?) or right (below the ?) - and why?

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Survey: Which direction should the shower door swing?

Post by Nicholas »

I would have the open side towards the sink and toilet, hinge above "?"....kind of easier access from both. Is there enough room between toilet and shower to have the opening on that side?
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Nicholas, I'm confused by your answer. If the hinge were above the ? then the shower door would open toward the door to the bathroom. Do you mean that I should place the door in a way other than I've indicated, on the wall opposite the plumbing? There isn't enough room between the toilet and the shower wall for the door to go there.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

How wide is the shower door ? What is the distance between the shower opening and the opposite wall ? Are there any obstructions on this opposite wall - or planned obstructions (ie future radiator location, cabinet built between the studs) ?

Personally, if there are no obstructions, I would place the hinges on the left, so the person has an open clearance to enter/exit the shower ? Although placing the hinges on the right would make the other fixtures in the bathroom more accessible in relation to the shower.

I think if there is enough clearance either way would be fine. If there will be conflicts between the shower door bumping into a cabinet door, or sink, or whatever, plan to accommodate that ?

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Posted in error.
Last edited by Manalto on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote: ...if there are no obstructions, I would place the hinges on the left, so the person has an open clearance to enter/exit the shower ? Although placing the hinges on the right would make the other fixtures in the bathroom more accessible in relation to the shower.

This, in essence, is my question. Which is more important to you?

The shower door is 24 in wide and the space from shower door to the opposite wall is 34 in. If there were obstructions to the door swinging in one direction rather than the other, I wouldn't have presented both options. The "toothy" towel bar will be mounted on the wall opposite the shower. It extends about 3 inches from the wall.

Another thing to consider - does access to shower controls make a difference to you? Would you rather reach across the shower stall (hinge on the right) to turn on the water or have the door opening on the same side (hinge on the left) as the shower controls?

mjt

Post by mjt »

Hinge on the right (below the ?).

My morning routine focuses on the three fixtures: toilet, sink, shower. I don't want to have to walk from the sink/toilet past the shower just to double back into the shower. So, for me, it's about flow and economy of movement.

Secondly, it treats the three as a single logical entity when the shower door is open. If the hing is on the left, it subconsciously separates the shower from the sink/toilet.

$.02

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I would put the hinge on the right (below the ?) so that you enter from the sink/toilet area. It would feel less enclosed getting in there than other way. As far as reaching to the left for water controls, I don't think that matters. At least, it doesn't matter to me.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Manalto wrote:Nicholas, I'm confused by your answer. If the hinge were above the ? then the shower door would open toward the door to the bathroom. Do you mean that I should place the door in a way other than I've indicated, on the wall opposite the plumbing? There isn't enough room between the toilet and the shower wall for the door to go there.

oops...yes, I meant hinge at bottom, as stated above. I once owned a mobile home that had a sliding shower door in the corner next to the toilet, in the master, which also had the garden tub. It was too close even with the slider, but if you had the room a slider there might work in that other location.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:
Willa wrote: ...if there are no obstructions, I would place the hinges on the left, so the person has an open clearance to enter/exit the shower ? Although placing the hinges on the right would make the other fixtures in the bathroom more accessible in relation to the shower.

This, in essence, is my question. Which is more important to you?

The shower door is 24 in wide and the space from shower door to the opposite wall is 34 in. If there were obstructions to the door swinging in one direction rather than the other, I wouldn't have presented both options. The "toothy" towel bar will be mounted on the wall opposite the shower. It extends about 3 inches from the wall.

Another thing to consider - does access to shower controls make a difference to you? Would you rather reach across the shower stall (hinge on the right) to turn on the water or have the door opening on the same side (hinge on the left) as the shower controls?

If by left and right you mean this is oriented by a person standing outside the shower area, facing it, as though to enter the shower I would place the hinges on the left, leaving an open route to the faucets. I seem to be in the minority for this placement though ? It sounds like you have plenty of clearance in either direction, and the handsome vintage shower door you acquired can be hung either way.

You might have to do some play acting of your future shower routine to figure out which direction feels more right ?

Speaking from experience as long as it is well placed with enough room it won't feel awkward to use. Bad placement means bumping into other things or having to turn your body at an angle to get through the door, or you have to close a door to open a cabinet, etc. I suppose the other consideration would be for other family members who might be brushing their teeth while someone else is showering, but from what I have read of your other posts it doesn't sound like you have kids underfoot. To me, the solution is 50% of one, 1/2 of the other.