My blog is finally up...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

My blog is finally up...

Post by Willa »

...and I added it to the blog roll. Could people let me know what they think ?

And if there are any WordPress people who know their way around, could you give me a couple of minutes of babysitting, too ?

https://blackpicketfence.org

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: My blog is finally up...

Post by GinaC »

Willa, I stayed up way too late last night reading through your blog. :)

I have also encountered misogyny when speaking to contractors, but I have also met some female contractors, "sisters doin' it for themselves". I supposed I can be accused of being sexist myself because I am more inclined to hire them over their male counterparts.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa

Post by Willa »

GinaC wrote:Willa, I stayed up way too late last night reading through your blog. :)

Hi Gina. Thanks for looking. I have fleshed out the "Start Here" page with photos and tidied up the writing.

My neighbourhood is currently part of a city project to improve this corridor. It IS really needed - there are many vacant storefronts that really bring the area down. However, the plans to date are focussed on improvements that will only benefit commercial property owners - like being able to purchase adjacent residential property to create more parking without having to go through re-zoning. At present there is little protection or consideration of the residential neighbours of commercial property. I have pestered the head Site Planner with my concerns, including very specific emails regarding my issues, which would also be relevant for any residence in an older area next to a business.

There is a meeting at City Hall later today about this project. I wanted to get the blog up and accessible in time for this.

I sure don't expect any miracles, but I think I have documented the situation as well as I can, and hope that it has been explained in a way that most people can understand.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, while I did not stay up late into the night I am working my way through your blog. To be honest I was shocked at the condition of some of the locations, the conditions were close to third world conditions. Hard to believe that these places existed in Canada, but I guess slum lords are cut from the same cloth every wear in the world.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Willa, while I did not stay up late into the night I am working my way through your blog. To be honest I was shocked at the condition of some of the locations, the conditions were close to third world conditions. Hard to believe that these places existed in Canada, but I guess slum lords are cut from the same cloth every wear in the world.

Haha - do you mean the Nightmare Apartment's neighbour or the photos of the sad hoarder-ish house I looked at ? I was so ashamed of having to rent the Nightmare Apartment I didn't take ANY before photos of it.

While I was there I stripped and polished the VCTile floors, and painted every single room. The landlord was the worst aspect of that place. After it was completely cleaned up and painted it was...okay ? Except for the exhorbitant rent - utilities not included. Except that it was like someone shrunk a normal apartment in a dryer that was too hot as everything was just a little too tight. There was a long hallway that ran from front to back that was just under 34" wide. And the stairwell was only 32" wide including the handrail. It's left me with claustrophobia since.

Willa

Post by Willa »

And about the meeting at City Hall: It turned out to be not a regular meeting in a meeting room. This was in the City Hall Chambers.

Perhaps 20 area residents showed up, and one business owner. After the Site Planner said her thing about the proposed project, residents were permitted to have 5 minutes to say their thing. Almost everyone that got up to speak were opposed to most of the changes, particularly changing the zoning to permit 4 story apartment buildings in an area with zero 4 story buildings. Almost everyone who spoke had issues with petty crime, bad landlords, prostitution. There were a couple of residents who live only a couple of blocks away who had a petition regarding parking and traffic issues with the Beer Store across from them. (In Ontario you can only buy beer at the Beer Store - not at the corner store, etc.). I got up and said my piece in what I hope was a coherent fashion. One very elderly man brought notes with him - carefully written in cursive script - with many of the same concerns.

The local city councillor is a useless turd. He is very focussed on the approval of business vs residents and seems easily bought.

The people who did show up were pretty rowdy for a crowd ages 55+. They muttered, shouted objections, complained and were repeatedly admonished by the Speaker.

The proposals were passed 6 - 0 - despite resident's valid concerns. With regard to the proposed developments, local residents were basically expected to say yes to a project that had not been presented - ie what 4 story building, where ?

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Oh Willa. The section about your sweet cats had me tearing up. I'm so sorry.
Good job documenting everything. Your blog is a great resource. Keep it up!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!