Another endangered one in my neighborhood

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Another endangered one in my neighborhood

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The doors Willa posted inspired me to share this.

After we lost the 1870s Italianate I posted about a month or so ago, we lost another one that was on what was originally the National Road on the southern end of my neighborhood. It was a two and a half story stone house that dated to about 1840 that was allegedly a stage coach transfer station and inn.

Now I've heard that developers have their eye on the old Gundry asylum, which is on the eastern end of my neighborhood. The stone mansion was built circa 1884 by a Baltimore industrialist. It was purchased by a doctor around 1900 and re-purposed as a psychiatric rest home for women and children. There was an addition built to the side in the 1920s and another in the 1980s to house administrative offices for the hospital. It continued in this capacity until it was closed in 1999. It appears to have been used as office space for a church for a short time after its closure.

This place is an architectural gem and I really hope it is saved. Twenty years of abandonment has taken its toll, but it is not beyond saving. The main mansion is an eclectic mix of style elements that were popular in the 1880s and a lot of original detail remains.

Here is a video an urban explorer took of the house three years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb_x1NpJwek

There are several other videos on youtube. Some of the more recent ones show that the pace of deterioration is picking up.

Gothichome

Re: Another endangered one in my neighborhood

Post by Gothichome »

Colonial, what a great looking house, sad to see it in this condition. A bit big I think for an individual white knight to come to its rescue but an organization such as a house museum, or heritage group I think would be the perfect owner. Or maybe even the city/county could make good use of it as means of drawing tourists into the area. Did any one notice the stained glass panels of the four seasons? I did, and the ever present Aesthetic movement sunflower images in the stained glass. Can you imagine how impressive this looked as a private residence when new.