Fixing my bad back porch

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Fixing my bad back porch

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:Years ago I found a book that suggested choosing paint colors to complement the natural light according to the compass direction of the room. In other words, north facing rooms would call for warm colors and west-facing rooms, cool colors. It has some logic to it and I have found it to be a good starting point for choosing colors.

The wall with the windows faces east, and the french door faces north. Northern facing exposure can be tricky as it tends to have a more blueish-gray light. The room will be very bright in the morning, and in the summer the light will be filtered through the perimeter of trees outside to further complicate things.

Initially I was considering a pinky-beige, but worried the color would be at odds with the use of the room. The porch is visible, though obscured, by the door with glue chip glass that separates it from the kitchen. I feel like the color should connect to some of the colors in the kitchen ? Now that the room is much improved the door will probably be open in the warmer months.

I am leaning towards using the same trim color as in the kitchen (Benjamin Moore "Weston Flax" - a light yellow), and will probably paint the ceiling a similar or slightly darker yellow. I am thinking about an old fashioned green for the walls. The floors in the kitchen are painted BM "Leihigh Green" which would be too dark for the walls. I am looking at similar, but lighter greens. I've been on the fence about whether I should splurge and get BM Advance for the walls ? This is a water based enamel that cures to feel very much like an oil based enamel. Painting the T&g boards are kind of a drag. If I want to repaint them, I would need to use the same or similar product, or prime again with an adhesion primer.

My logic for considering the BM Advance is that I will be storing ladders and some tools in this room, so I worry that a regular wall paint will get easily marked up ?

I looked at lots of blogs about room direction and paint color but got more confused. Ditto for Feng Shui type sites. There was a lot of information about bedrooms and living rooms but nothing about laundry room/porches. Green seems to be a commonly suggested color for east facing rooms.

The wall that faces the window is the (previously painted) brick exterior wall, which I don't know whether I will paint of not ? A green contrasts nicely with the large cabinet, which I suppose is the focal point of the room, after the wall of windows ?

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

From what I've seen here, your sense of color is highly evolved. That can make deciding a little more complicated, however. The cool light from the north and also from the east, after the morning, suggests warmer tones. I like adjoining rooms to harmonize too. What do you think about a soft olive green?

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:The cool light from the north and also from the east, after the morning, suggests warmer tones. I like adjoining rooms to harmonize too. What do you think about a soft olive green?

I wondered about using BM "Castleton Mist" again - which is a light celery color. If you darken it (on the BM site) it turns into an ochre-olive color.

BUT: I've used it in three rooms already so a fourth might be a bit much ! I was just talking with someone who recently bought a (newer) house and she showed me photos of some of the rooms. There was one room that was a very similar color, which she particularly hated !

The kitchen is two shades of BM yellow, with the Lehigh Green floor and some darker pea/army-ish green accents. I think this would be in conflict with a more overtly olive color ? The walls are visible from the kitchen door, but the brick wall is not.

Worst case scenario is that the green I choose turns out to be unlikeable in that room and I have to paint it another color ? There isn't a huge amount of wall area to paint thanks to the large windows, doorway and large cabinet. The ceiling will be more of an ordeal, though I can reach it standing on top of a milk crate.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

This is a nice problem to have - it means everything else is done. At this point I can only dream of the day when I have to decide on colors. (One thing is for certain - I don't want poop or lavender anywhere. Nor do I recommend it :thumbdown: )

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I am late to the conversation; I just discovered this post. Willa, this looks 150% better! And I noticed in the first pictures that you had already installed the most important component of any room--the cat!
Bonnie

Willa

Post by Willa »

Now painted ! The siding is sitting on sort of a table in the middle of the room covered by a dropcloth - that's what that ambiguous lump is. I had planned to pull up the lousy peel n stick tiles to paint the plywood subfloor, but that will have to wait until the siding leaves.

The crown molding has blended in and most of the holes have been filled. I used a semi-gloss paint for greater durability, and to help the light bounce around. It used to be common to have a very shiny ceiling. Even the most matte paint could not conceal all the alligatoring and lumps. It's a porch ! I am fine with this.

I found the color in a book after spending some time agonizing with the BM swatch book. It looks different in different light - from a light pea green to an almost 70's emerald green to an old fashioned slightly minty green. I still have to get a second coat on some of the trim as I ran out of paint. I am happy with it, and think it looks pleasant.

I started heat stripping the basement door (former kitchen door) as the paint was very dinged up, with decades of filth on top. I have never encountered such a gummy mess while heat stripping. I think I will have to take what I can off with the first go, then go back over everything a second time to remove all the residual crust. It's a real mess.

The grey cabinet is next in line for some paint improvement.

backporch.jpeg
backporch.jpeg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 384 times

bporchpdoor.jpeg
bporchpdoor.jpeg (587.29 KiB) Viewed 382 times

bporchpaint.jpeg
bporchpaint.jpeg (656.63 KiB) Viewed 380 times

* I had to fight to upload the photos as they kept being flipped. Once I conquered this, the colors are skewed. The color is the most accurate in the first photo.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Looks good! The dark sash pulls it all together.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Oh, that looks so nice, and so inviting! That green is perfect. I love that you're not afraid of color in your lovely yellow brick house.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, another fantastic project coming together. As Gina and James have mentioned, great colour choices.

Willa

Post by Willa »

I saw an ad for over 100 vintage/antique handkerchiefs ($ 20.00) which got me thinking. While it seems like an immense amount - because they are so delicate - this is what they looked like in real life:

100+hankies.jpeg
100+hankies.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 336 times

I bought some very lightweight cotton material and made some curtains, featuring the hankies. The seller said they belonged to her late mother, who had died some time ago. I think it's nicer to be able to look at the collection. I still have many, many hankies left over, but these were the ones that fit:

hankerchiefcurtains1.jpeg
hankerchiefcurtains1.jpeg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 336 times

handkercurtain.jpeg
handkercurtain.jpeg (1015.22 KiB) Viewed 336 times

While I like how the windows look with no curtains, privacy is also a serious concern.