Fixing my bad back porch

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Fixing my bad back porch

Post by Willa »

phil wrote:I'm not sure if those stairs are current or if its an old pic but If they still exist lke that I'd definitely not use them. I'd barricade them off so they are there in case of fire and fix that issue. Picture what would happen if a 300 lb person decides to come up to your back door even when you aren't home and the resulting lawsuit you'd be likely to face. the same can happen if you have a 150 pound person carrying lots of groceries or some piece of furniture..

we had a huge lawsuit in my area where a lot of people , like 40 or so went onto a porch and it then suddenly fell. It was because the sill plate wasn't attached to the house properly ,

Phil: if by stairs you mean the STEP outside the back door ? It is a one piece cement step, that was pushed away from the porch, with some pieces of wood temporarily sitting on it when the photo was taken.

Porch is built on a cement slab on the ground with no second story on top, and no rooftop access. The fence to my backyard is nearly 7' tall, with a locked gate. No 300 lb person will be at my back door unless I have invited them to be.

Carpenter in question has been working in construction since the early 70's, and also taught the trades. I am confident that he knows what he is doing, including Canadian building code and has good
judgement.

This is the back porch in question, how it looked when I bought the house. It's the small thing at the end with the vinyl siding.

14233200_703517149806033_1640842580708518459_n.jpg
14233200_703517149806033_1640842580708518459_n.jpg (162.09 KiB) Viewed 545 times

Phil are you talking about the images of where the windows CAME FROM ? Go back to the first page of this thread, and start reading there.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:
Phil are you talking about the images of where the windows CAME FROM ? Go back to the first page of this thread, and start reading there.

Obviously that's what he meant but he sure did work himself up into a lather, didn't he? :teasing-poke:

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:
Willa wrote:

Obviously that's what he meant but he sure did work himself up into a lather, didn't he? :teasing-poke:

I was pretty confused about the ruckus over one cement step.

The Nightmare Apartment though: holy building code, building maintenance, and fire code violations. Plus an amateur psychopath landlord with no clue how to repair anything, who was a fountain of lies. There were escalating conflicts between the apartment above me, the hair salon below me and me with the landlord. "Someone" called the building inspector. "Someone else" contacted the Fire Marshall. Many citations and work orders happened. Meanwhile the landlord just wouldn't answer his phone when the building inspector called, and refused to meet with the person. I had $ 300.00 electricity bills and discovered that not only was I paying for the electricity for a water heater (not in the lease), I was also paying for the apartment above's water heater electricity, too. And the electricity for the lights in the stairwell. The hair salon was paying for a couple of my kitchen outlets.

The landlord placed the building for sale. I had a realtor pal do a little research to pull up the sold history. "Mysteriously" - between the time the building had been for sale, then the creep landlord bought it, and it was listed for sale again the lot's dimensions grew ! And my under 700 sq ft apartment was wishfully described as being 1000 sq ft ! Did I mention the owner was a realtor ?

There was a point where the landlord was trying to rope in some investors groups to become partial owners of the property. Landlord's trick was to have them visit the building in the evening, after dark, then take them around to the (unlit) back of the building, so they couldn't see the dire condition of that very alarming porch in my photos, among other obvious issues. They had to walk up a truly frightening fire escape with loose steps, that was not anchored to the ground, in the dark to do this. I'm sure this was one of the reasons they walked away.

I had to take the landlord to the Landlord/Tenant Tribunal. The landlord was such a lying baby that he hired a paralegal to appear for him (not before innundating me with confrontational emails and phone calls. He offered 2/3 of one month's rent to move out. This wouldn't even pay for movers.). The paralegal had been lied to. She claimed that the landlord had purchased a non-refundable flight to Egypt and Greece, so he could not appear in person, only via speaker phone, as he was at the airport awaiting boarding. I was awarded one months rent to refund me for the excess electricity bills.

Now this trip to Egypt and Greece was very odd, given that I knew that there was a pending offer on the building, with an inspection scheduled three days later.

Imagine my "surprise" when liar landlord appeared at my door with the inspector for the buyer. He kept physically putting himself between me and the inspector asking me questions, and talking over me. I was getting pretty angry ! (Twist of fate: the inspector was actually the prospective buyer himself !)

Long story short: in a super hot market like Toronto, his building sold for $ 100,000 UNDER asking as there were many issues that had not been disclosed and needed to be remedied, including pending work orders from the city and Fire Marshall.

After the new owner took possession the hair salon, who had a triple net lease, discovered that her TIM fees (Tax, Insurance, Maintenance) were actually 1/3 what the awful landlord had been charging her.

The Nightmare Apartment was a nightmare in every sense of the word. New landlord was sane and reasonable. I moved out shortly after, to this house.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I just want to say that, every time you post a new photo, I fall in love with your yellow brick all over again.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I like the brick a lot too. I've always called it "blond brick." I'm not sure where I got that expression.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, that picture makes the home look like it’s situated on larger plot, wouldn’t it be nice if it was that big.
James, the term bond is just a moniker for the type of pattern in the brick laying. Willa’s home has a running bond, all the bricks are laid out end to end with the stretchers all exposed. Gothichome has a monk bond two stretchers and a header showing.
On another note, one of the HGTV type renovation shows here in Canada are butchering up a home very similar home to yours Willa, must be in the same strip of prominent yellow brick homes as yours.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ops, I should. Retract my answer to you James, and learn to read. I see you called it ‘blond brick’ not asking the origins of the word brick ‘bond’.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Found it.
https://observerxtra.com/2019/10/31/res ... mpetition/
Elmira’s not so far away from you Willa. Found a link to the shows.
https://www.hometowin.ca/
This makes me sad :-( , they had an opportunity to restore this correctly and retain its charm, but no, they chose the easy way and gutted and pillaged the interior.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:Found it.
https://observerxtra.com/2019/10/31/res ... mpetition/
Elmira’s not so far away from you Willa. Found a link to the shows.
https://www.hometowin.ca/
This makes me sad :-( , they had an opportunity to restore this correctly and retain its charm, but no, they chose the easy way and gutted and pillaged the interior.

I haven't watched the episodes but I can tell from the pics in the links that it does not look good.Check out those crummy replacement windows.

I mean, these tv folks can't help it - they literally do not know any better.

The thing about "reality" "decorating" "entertainment" shows like this, is that their bottom line is about viewers - and the show's budget. Canadian T.V. is made on a much smaller budget than US shows. Therefore lots of shoddy cover ups and cut corners happen. They don't have the time or budget to do anything approaching restoration. Plus what the sponsors/advertisers contribute must be promoted and showcased. If you look at these programs as propaganda the meanings become clear.

Willa

Post by Willa »

John is back and progress is being made including a new attic covering, cabinet installation, and crown molding to cover the gaps. Photos to follow.