For the person who has everything...

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

For the person who has everything...

Post by Manalto »

Spotted on my local Craigslist. Somebody is selling carousel horses from the early 20th century.

Gothichome

Re: For the person who has everything...

Post by Gothichome »

James twenty or so years ago there was an antique fad with people buying up old carnival horses, prices sky rocketed, but as all fads go they die off off as fast as they rose. I think as with all antiques if they can be attributed to some artist or specific placed in time they may still hold their lofty price tag. At the hight of the craze you could buy brand new antique carnival horses ect.
This one bothers me, I see no ware or bruising of the horse, remember these things had a hard life on the carrousel, also he patina is too even all over. I suspect it to be a modern antique.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: For the person who has everything...

Post by Manalto »

I remember. It was an impractical fad as fads go for all but the largest houses.

Here's the link but since it will become inactive eventually, I'll mention that it claims to be from 1915, from Rockaway Beach in Queens New York and later Myrtle Beach South Carolina. The price is a staggering $24,000.

https://nwct.craigslist.org/atq/d/leomi ... 36848.html

I wasn't considering purchasing it, just thought it was a nice thing to look at and its price mildly amusing. This seller has a few carousel horses listed. None of them have wear.