Happy Free Items

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Happy Free Items

Post by Willa »

Am I the only one who is a bottom feeding scavenger ?

Today on Kijiji I spotted a pair of large 50 x 52" antique windows with wavy glass - one large single pane each. Somehow my email got there first and we picked them up this afternoon. It's a shame anyone is removing old windows BUT I am so happy to have two large panes of old glass that I can use to replace a couple of cracked panes here, with glass left over.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Happy Free Items

Post by Manalto »

Nothing "bottom-feeding" about that!

Love that wavy glass!

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Willa wrote:Am I the only one who is a bottom feeding scavenger ?

Today on Kijiji I spotted a pair of large 50 x 52" antique windows with wavy glass - one large single pane each. Somehow my email got there first and we picked them up this afternoon. It's a shame anyone is removing old windows BUT I am so happy to have two large panes of old glass that I can use to replace a couple of cracked panes here, with glass left over.

I go to our recycling center a couple times a week looking to see if anything has arrived at the "gift shop"
Last year I scored a circa 1900 three light bronze flush mount. Another time a cast iron sink from around 1880 all the drain parts in place. Every year I find a few items most of the time I tell other antique collector friends what's there. I also find metal items I weld up sculptures to place in our gardens. See you're not the only scavenger. I'm a seasoned veteran as I have been doing it for years.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

In a town full of old homes I am constantly on the lookout, plus garage sales. Something about somebody's trash being gold. I am also getting creative with salvaged wood, like old fencing.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I keep a link on my cell to craigslist free for my area. I often check it when I'm idle and scan the list of dead couches and stuff. Often good things are not there for more than a few minutes. I try to check when I'm going out or able to make a casual trip like when im off to go shopping for other stuff. . I've been on a few wild goose chases or refused to take things, but Ive also scored a lot of times. After getting my materials I often plan my time to do jobs to use up the materials rather than planning the job and then obtaining the materials like normal people do ;-)

you can also search free for "antiques" or "fir" fir brings up anything made of fir and also firewood sometimes. I bought a car by searching for the make and mileage. I got roofing tools by searching for "ex boyfriend" sometimes creativity pays off. you can try"no place to park" and things like that too or "wife says" ;-)

another good one , search for all, but eliminate the free section then search for "free" because some use the wrong catagory

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Not in a million years would I think to search ex-boyfriend!

Here's a free item I picked up years ago in Upper Manhattan (Inwood) when I was out on a walk with my dog and a neighbor. He told me (the neighbor that is) that the house we were walking past at one time belonged to Harry Houdini (and the house next door was his mother's). There was renovation going on and at the curb were discarded windows. I picked up two. Are they Houdini's? I can't say for sure.

ETA: I just searched and learned that Houdini lived at 278 West 113th Street so I don't know whose windows I have!

Not sure either what I will do with them but I've hung on to them for almost 20 years so I guess I'll continue to do so.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:ETA: I just searched and learned that Houdini lived at 278 West 113th Street so I don't know whose windows I have!

Well, they're nice windows. I've seen some that have sections replaced with stained or patterned glass. You could also leave them as is to use, trade or sell...

In Canada there are many beliefs about antique items having belonged to the Eaton family (they owned a major department store chain called "Eaton's"). You can't go to an antique mall without dozens of items alleged to have come from the Eaton family. And there is a ton of stuff manufactured and sold through Eaton's, labelled of course Eaton's. How can I search the provenance for say, some salad tongs, that might or might not have belonged to that family ? I don't care, but lots of folks are hung up on some notions all right.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Also - everyone should post some PHOTOS of their free favourites !

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

bedroom light.JPG
bedroom light.JPG (759.26 KiB) Viewed 689 times
sink front.JPG
sink front.JPG (770.02 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Here's the 1880ish sink after some cleanup. Then the light fixture with new glass from an antique shop for $50.

Willa

Post by Willa »

nhguy wrote:Last year I scored a circa 1900 three light bronze flush mount. Another time a cast iron sink from around 1880 all the drain parts in place. Every year I find a few items most of the time I tell other antique collector friends what's there. I also find metal items I weld up sculptures to place in our gardens. See you're not the only scavenger. I'm a seasoned veteran as I have been doing it for years.

Wow - both of those are GREAT scores ! That's a nice light fixture for the cost of some new/old shades and wiring.

The cast iron sink is unusual. Was it from a butler's pantry ? Or are they common in your neck of the woods ? Do you have it installed ?