flurescent to LED conversion

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

flurescent to LED conversion

Post by phil »

I had put a lot of 4' fluorescent fixtures up in the basement. in some I changed ballasts but now half of them seemed to be going dim and flickering.
I got a box of LED tubes. they make now to replace the old tubes. my old ones were a little over an inch diameter, these new ones are smaller but fit.

I found they have two kinds. with one you can leave the ballasts and wiring in place and just replace the tubes. The other kind Is they type I got. You just remove the ballast entirely and hook 110 across the two ends. I did the first one last night. It worked fine. some of the fixtures are missing covers so I think the light is a bit more concentrated because they are thinner but maybe they will last. at least it should brighten things up again and be cheaper on power.

I often just leave them on , any wasted power warms the floors so the heat isn't wasted but I thought it might lower the electric bill a little although it will probably also raise the gas bill slightly. I will see over time I guess.