End of a dynasty

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

End of a dynasty

Post by Manalto »

This appeared this morning on my news feed:

https://www.courant.com/community/farmi ... story.html

Farmington's a beautiful town with many old buildings. Significant among them are the Hill-stead museum and Miss Porter's School. It has lost some of its charm in recent years with population growth and skyrocketing prices.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: End of a dynasty

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Let's hope it survives. Kind of interesting to see that it retains a lot of its Colonial era originality even with the Victorian era renovations. The only thing I'm disappointed in is it looks like it got the vinyl window treatment sometime in the not too distant past.

With the skyrocketing prices everywhere, particularly on both coasts, one has to ask themselves who is buying it all. I don't know too many people who can afford these prices earning a legitimate income.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I think with the history involved it would make a great house museum. The limited interior pics hints at intact interiors. Let’s hope it finds a sympathetic new owner.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:Let's hope it survives. Kind of interesting to see that it retains a lot of its Colonial era originality even with the Victorian era renovations. The only thing I'm disappointed in is it looks like it got the vinyl window treatment sometime in the not too distant past.

With the skyrocketing prices everywhere, particularly on both coasts, one has to ask themselves who is buying it all. I don't know too many people who can afford these prices earning a legitimate income.

the one in farmington looks like a deal from here:
"The house was put up for sale for about $500,000 last summer and later reduced to $350,000, after portions of the yard were sold off to neighbors."

you couldn't buy an apartment for that anywhere near here. In my lifetime I've seen the pricing go up 20 times the price with no end in sight. mine tripled in the past 15 years. you wont find a lot to build a house on for under a million. There is a little difference in the exchange rate but still , its pretty crazy by comparison. I feel lucky and safe at least having a house. many others spend their entire lives saving for an apartment or a condo and they are locked into regular maintenance fees on top of taxes without any real title to land. its all about availability. Everyone isn't rich and a lot like me are house poor. Those that sell out and rent for a few years can usually never buy back in unless they find a windfall. I couldn't buy in until I was 40 others my age that bought sooner are sitting pretty. Those that didn't buy in pay about 1400 a month to rent an apartment. Outside the city it is much different but if you think you will buy on the outskirts and commute then you still need some serious money and then gas to commute. If you go two or there hours from the city then you might find some lower prices but commuting is impractical. If you are willing to move to a dead and dying little lumber town then there are cheap houses but no work. some eek out a living with online ventures and working remotely or tourism, and things like that. There are crafters and artisans and farmers but they dont make much.

DRJR
Knows the area

Post by DRJR »

A quick followup on the Wadsworth house.

It didn't sell. The auction bids came in to low. So it will be in their family for awhile longer.
Home formally know as Rotten Ranch

Patched up fireplace, rotten and new siding, with other issues getting the arts and crafts makeover. :mrgreen: