Another one claimed by greed....

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Another one claimed by greed....

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I get so sick of the deep pockets developers in the DC/MD/NoVA area and their complete disregard for all things historical, especially if it gets in the way of them getting even fatter. Doesn't matter if it's a house, church, or Civil War battlefield with gravesites, if it gets in their way it has to go....

This house, an 1870s Italianate, was home to one of the prominent families in the area for decades. It saw a serious renovation in 1919 when the large porch and portico, sunrooms, sleeping porches, and rear addition were added. The architect who designed my house grew up here and is the one who oversaw the renovations a century ago. The house was used as a mortuary from the 1960s through about 2009.

Some pictures from when it was sold in 2012:

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Catonsville/736-Edmondson-Ave-21228/home/39538452

Anyway, a developer bought it and wanted to put some vinyl clad townhouses on it. Something this area has way too many of to begin with. There was some resistance and the project was put on hold for a year or so. This past week, they swooped in with a fleet of equipment and ripped the house down. Didn't salvage a thing. I don't think they even had valid demolition permits, but even if they didn't, developers always get a free pass around here. Their excuse when challenged was the house was "not repairable". Whatever. That house had plenty of life left in it.

Gothichome

Re: Another one claimed by greed....

Post by Gothichome »

:-(
What a grand home this was. I would think it would have been a land mark for all the locals. Looking at the birds eye view, it looks to be a bit of urban/rural fringe, with lots of small acreage and larger lots. Not sure how things work down there Colonial, but it looks to me that there would need to have been a zoning change to make it high density. I wonder how that got through your council. The council sees property tax revenue, the developer sees a fat pay day, the locals see inconvenience and disruption and traffic. Historians and old home lovers just see rape and pillage.
Only a few benefit while every one else loses.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I have a particular fondness for the Italianate style, so this loss is especially sad. I'm a pushover for a porte-cochere.

Is my memory inaccurate? When I was growing up, old houses seemed to be highly valued. I come from a region (central Connecticut river valley) where 18th century houses are particularly abundant. Sure, there were the posh, sprawling, early 20th century houses, but my impression was that pre-Revolutionary War center-chimney colonials were the most prized and elegant way to go (followed closely by Greek Revival, Georgian and Federal). It was assumed that maintenance costs were higher for these houses but that only added to their quiet prestige. I understand that the old New England mindset of not showing off has gone the way of Stanley steamers and bloomers; a conspicuous display of wealth now appears to be the norm.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

James, I was thinking the same thing. Why did the mindset change about old houses? It seems to be the older folk like myself who value them.

I think it's that younger people have been completely brainwashed into capitalism. Old is bad, and new is good. All of us here know how wrong that is!
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

GinaC wrote:
I think it's that younger people have been completely brainwashed into capitalism. Old is bad, and new is good. All of us here know how wrong that is!

I think you're right. There is no cookie cutter approach to home restoration so no way to get advertisers on HGTV for such a project. Well, I guess gut-and-replace with mundane materials is the cookie cutter approach that has been so successful.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I suspect the trend to new is better started in the late 70’s early 80’s with the rise of the yuppie. Upwardly mobile doesn’t work well with an old home commitment. Now in the Internet age and instant gratification there is no time to slow down to the pace of old home restoration or ownership. Gen X’ers are now on the cusp of over taking the last of the baby boomers (me) and are well in to their 40’s. They are slowing down and thinking about a long term comment to older homes but to them it’s MCM. I see it reflected in the value of MCM furniture and everything that goes with it. Then there are the next wave millennials. Who know what will interest them in twenty or thirty years.
And then there is this generation.
https://youtu.be/3P3jelcBpSA

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Thanks, Ron. That's 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

GinaC wrote:

I think you mean consumerism (there's a difference). That along with the "keep up with the Joneses" mentality has completely overtaken this area. Everyone wants new, no matter how low the quality is. Everyone wants shiny, no matter how lousy the paint or finish is. Everyone wants cheap, and you get what you pay for.

Something else that drives me insane about this area is that no one can be original. They all have to do what someone else is telling them is cool. For example, I used to be ridiculed by co-workers for rescuing antique furniture and all things old and mechanical. Then, you have shows like American Pickers and Pawn Stars emerge and ever since then they all think it's cool and are doing it themselves, asking me to share some of my tricks that I've picked up over 30+ years.

I'm also the only one at my job who lives in an old house. Big surprise there.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Yes, consumerism, but I think toxic capitalism. And also the shunning of intellectualism and critical thinking. Like you said, people just don't want to think for themselves.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I've run into that plenty of times (as I'm sure all of you have) and lately it's been in response to inquiries about outfitting a heating system with my cast-iron radiators. (If I hear the words "mini splits" one more time I think I'll spontaneously combust.) Yesterday I spoke to someone at a boiler company in Mobile that has been in operation since 1946. I asked him if installation of cast iron radiators was unusual there. "Yes sir," he said, "but people who have them love them." I think I may have found the company I want to work with.