Pictures of Home

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: Pictures of Home

Post by Gothichome »

CP, thanks for a he nice words, Our home though is no grander than any one else’s. just be bigger then many but smaller than others.
Gotcheehome? Hummmm...... :lol:

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

One other tip with the metal detector. If you have one, or have access to one, use a small diameter coil. That will really help work around all the iron and get to the copper, brass, silver, etc. I like digging square nails as much as the next person, but they can drive you nuts if you have a lot of them in a small area.

Not sure if your area saw any Civil War activity, but dig those middle tones. Bullets and sometimes even gold will reveal themselves.

Central Passage 1832
Just Arrived

Post by Central Passage 1832 »

Hi guys and gals,

1918 Colonial this part of Indiana was involved in the Civil War. General John Hunt Morgan of the Confederacy led 1600 men on a raid through Kentucky, his home state. Then, disobeying orders, he crossed the Ohio River near Corydon Indiana and led his men across the lower third of the State and into Ohio. When he and his men were sitting across the little river ford from my hometown he demanded it's surrender. When told he would have to take it "by hard fighting" he withdrew his men and continued southeast.

I always thought that was way cool how a little town of 400 people backed down an army...until I grew up and fell in love with history. It turns out the state government called out over 1700 men and had them in my hometown before he got there. The Union General Lew Wallace was in charge. His headquarters was in a Gothic Revival home now owned by a friend of mine.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Central Passage 1832 wrote:Hi guys and gals,

1918 Colonial this part of Indiana was involved in the Civil War. General John Hunt Morgan of the Confederacy led 1600 men on a raid through Kentucky, his home state. Then, disobeying orders, he crossed the Ohio River near Corydon Indiana and led his men across the lower third of the State and into Ohio. When he and his men were sitting across the little river ford from my hometown he demanded it's surrender. When told he would have to take it "by hard fighting" he withdrew his men and continued southeast.

I always thought that was way cool how a little town of 400 people backed down an army...until I grew up and fell in love with history. It turns out the state government called out over 1700 men and had them in my hometown before he got there. The Union General Lew Wallace was in charge. His headquarters was in a Gothic Revival home now owned by a friend of mine.

You've got some good hunting ground there. Given that your house was there during the Civil War times and the Union army was in your town, there's a good chance of finding at least a couple of .58 caliber three-ringers around your house. Your friend's house on the other hand - who knows what that ground may hold. Buttons, plates, anything's possible. I'd even be tempted to find the location of the Confederate army across the river and see if I could get permission from the landowner to hunt there. I've found that people in smaller towns are usually a lot more receptive to relic hunters than people in large metro areas.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Welcome to a fellow small, but old home owner. I was confused at first, because of the condition and look of the current home until I saw the old photos. Great history!
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Nicholas wrote:Welcome to a fellow small, but old home owner. I was confused at first, because of the condition and look of the current home until I saw the old photos. Great history!
I had the same reaction initially. Vinyl siding is evil! It hides so many lovely things. (And former "renovation" sins too, but sometimes lovely wins out!)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote:Vinyl siding is evil!

When I drive around the town where I grew up, often I'll see a vinyl-clad house and think, "I used to admire that house." Now it's just a sad wad of ribbed plastic.