Antique toilet primer

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Antique toilet primer

Post by phil »

the high tank ones seem to have a much stronger flush due to gravity working in favor. most toilets have this gross little space behind them, and it makes them more compact. It makes me wonder why all the new ones that use less water dont put the tank higher to compensate.

my neighbor called me to have a look at her new one. it was loose. the stupid thing didnt' even have access to the bolts that hold it down , Just a dumb design . I sort of forget but I guess the loose bolts were downstairs and the suite was occupied so access was impossible.

around here the rain from the gutters would be fine for flushing for half the year but Ive never seen anyone do that. it would be simple to have a float valve so it used city water only when the gutter failed to fill the tank.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Someone gave me a matching toilet...for Christmas!

It matches my mid 40's green tub, (which replaced the clawfoot back in the past) and all I did was mention to someone that I wondered how a matching toilet and sink would look with it.

So a friend of my daughter, with too much money to spend, finds a used one at a building salvage place.

Who gets a 70 year old used toilet for Christmas...?

Me! Still laughing about it.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I like your story and have a soft spot in my heart for people who appreciate a good toilet!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I learned that you need to have an inch of air space between the filler and the drain tube, and no you arent' supposed to hook the gutters up to the toilet. the 1 inch air gap is part of the plumbing code. it so that if the city pressure goes low you aren't giving the water back by way of the tank allowing back siphonage. if the filler is submerged it is a cross connection. some put the tube below water level to reduce the trickling noise but thats a no no.

Its because of possible backflow into the city water system. as soon as you start using an alternate source of water like rain water, it is considered an alternate water source and therefore you need a reduced pressure backflow valve and that requires an annual inspection. That makes the cost prohibitive.
here we get enough rain we could use water from the gutters for toilets but in dry periods it would require makeup water. It all makes sense until you realize the backflow preventer and its required inspections cost more than the water you save. although I can think of mechanisms that would still prevent the cross connection as soon as you have an alternate water source the backflow preventer is required. some may have them by code anyway. most residences here dont' require them but the laws vary by area so some may have one at the property line.

new codes are also requiring backflow valves at the outside faucets. then if you raise the end of the hose too far. like if you try to spray water and moss killer from a jug on your roof you might find you cant' if you have one installed.

one of the easiest ways to create a cross connection is leaving a hose submerged in a barrel. If there is a break in the main or if a fire engine sucks water from the main it can suck the water from your barrel into the public water system. that could potentially send the water back into your house or that of your neighbors. It's easy to avoid but its a common situation because many aren't aware that just leaving a garden hose or in a barrel or garbage can create a danger.