Antique toilet primer

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Antique toilet primer

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I started to reply to the previous thread where the discussion about fixtures had turned to toilets, but figured I'd make my own.

There's a lot of misinformation out there about old toilets. Secondary to old windows, they're probably the most misunderstood part of an old house. Plumbers telling you to toss an antique toilet are cut from the same fabric as contractors who want to install vinyl windows.

Any plumbing supplier has all the parts to rebuild an old toilet. All you need is a new ballcock, new flush valve, new ball, and new gaskets all around. Total in parts around 30 bucks or so. I'd also recommend replacing the wax ring underneath. And the vitreous china cleans up just fine with some Bar Keeper's Friend and a blue scotch brite. If it's a wall mount tank unit and the spud on the bowl has bad threads, new spuds are available from plumbing suppliers for around $10 or so

They aren't wasteful - they do the job in a single flush. If someone is really picky or cheap over saving a gallon or two of water, you can put a couple of plastic containers filled with water inside the tank to offset some of the volume. Or, you can get an adjustable ballcock like the one Cessco Brass makes where you can control the height of the float.

They are out there - you just have to look for them. I tracked down five matching ones for my house. Took a while, but it was worth the effort.

I've been toying with the idea of doing an antique toilet rebuild video with the next bathroom I tackle. If that's something you think the crowd will be interested in, I'll do it.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Antique toilet primer

Post by Manalto »

I wondered why plumbers and contractors have been so eager to replace toilets and I still wonder; the markup can't be that great. They're really just hollow containers for a mechanism that, as you say, can be replaced. I've also been gently scolded for the number of gallons used in each flush. (Maybe they're better now but I've heard that low-volume toilets can be frustratingly ineffective at their job.)

Another method I've heard of for lowering the volume of each flush is to put a brick or two in the tank. I've tried this in the past and haven't noticed any decline in efficiency. As a cheapskate (and, oh yes, a conscientious environmentalist) the savings in water consumption appealed to me.

The obsession with replacement may have caused some of the vintage stuff to increase in value. The dark red toilet and sink I got for free years ago on Craigslist (except for the missing tank lid which I had to buy) I now see listed for shockingly high prices.

I considered period-correct fixtures for my 1918 bathroom but it's so tiny that I was afraid the effect would be lost. I also wondered how easy it would be to find 100 year old fixtures that were small enough and in good enough condition without paying a fortune. Finally, those snazzy loganberry 1953 pieces were already here.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

In my case, all the metal parts that were holding the tank and bowl together were corroded and falling apart. I supposed if one really really really wanted a 1952 toilet they could have made those parts again, as they are no longer commercially made.

Also, in some places, law states that you MUST have a 1.5 gallon toilet. This was the case when I lived in Brooklyn.

(In my case, I put in an American Standard Cadet on each floor and I couldn't be happier. It flushes much better, fills back up almost immediately, and is easier to keep clean.)
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

GinaC wrote: I supposed if one really really really wanted a 1952 toilet...

Nah, too old. :roll:

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:I started to reply to the previous thread where the discussion about fixtures had turned to toilets, but figured I'd make my own.

There's a lot of misinformation out there about old toilets. Secondary to old windows, they're probably the most misunderstood part of an old house. Plumbers telling you to toss an antique toilet are cut from the same fabric as contractors who want to install vinyl windows.

I think that making a video (or webpage) about this is a great idea. It's not like the design and function of toilets has radically evolved in the last 120 years. Frustrating plastic parts that wear out in less than five years, that are are proprietary ARE a recent "innovation" (I'm still mad at you, Kohler), though.

If you build it, they will come.

If they can be maintained/repaired to function properly, then that is the greenest solution. Bricks in the tank to conserve water is also wise.

I have the biggest love for vintage colored bathroom fixtures. They are so cheerful. Well - maybe not the grim browns, avocados and harvest golds of the 70's - that's out of my comfort zone - but a lovely matching Ming Green or orchid bathroom is just thrilling, IMO. Why should that toilet be tossed out and replaced with a white "comfort height" one ? (Those comfort height ones are actually worse for people for digestive issues although they are easier to get up from.)

Years ago, the site "Retro Renovation" grew out of Pam Kueber's enthusiasm for vintage "Mamie Pink" bathrooms. She started a site called "Save the Pink Bathrooms" and everything grew from there.

Save the antique toilets !

34af9fe3c5e9e65d33ecf1eed43a00ac.jpg
34af9fe3c5e9e65d33ecf1eed43a00ac.jpg (34.58 KiB) Viewed 682 times

cb3e1acd7228a52485d906601b53d8da.jpg
cb3e1acd7228a52485d906601b53d8da.jpg (44.63 KiB) Viewed 682 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

http://www.localhistories.org/toilets.html
A bit of all important info for a more thorough discussion on this subject.
Us old home sure have the most interesting discussions. No wonder my ‘non old home’ friends never ask me a question about our home any more. :think:

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Here's one I came across today: https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/45-26t ... 1-36657949

Thankfully it looks like they didn't remuddle the house too badly. I love those built in bookshelves in the bedroom.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I bought this book about 20 years ago at a remainder sale. It is from a UK perspective, but it's a nice little coffee table book with lots of gorgeous photos of antique toilets and bathrooms. Copies are cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Temples-Convenience-Chambers-Lucinda-Lambton/dp/0312141912/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=temples+of+convenience&qid=1571089896&s=books&sr=1-1

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

at one time we were building a house and living in an old house trailer. the bathroom was really tiny. my dad mounted the bowl as tight as he could to the wall then just extended the pipe so the tank could go on the wall. It worked and looked sort of old fashioned. solved the space issue. it had a super tiny old tub. It got me thinking that if I even just found an old bowl, maybe the tank could be made up from some neat brass tank, or something.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I really want to replace my downstairs toilet with a high tank toilet. I was tempted to buy some parts I saw at a salvage yard but I wasn't in the headspace at the time to tackle another "project". lol