Unusual Antique house fixtures

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Unusual Antique house fixtures

Post by Willa »

This was posted on Old House Dreams today:

https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2019/09/30/1884-shingle-new-bedford-ma/

The house has many fine original details - and a few unhappy-to-me "updates". What caught my eye was this fantastic original marble kitchen sink:

31-52ashst.jpg
31-52ashst.jpg (32.18 KiB) Viewed 748 times

and the extra, extra deep bathtub with the unusual feet:

57-52ashst.jpg
57-52ashst.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 748 times

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Unusual Antique house fixtures

Post by GinaC »

Wow, the person who built that house sure liked little froufrou things. Those duck faucets are amazing! I'm sitting here drooling at all those built ins and that gorgeous wood!!! Oh God, I hope the next owner doesn't paint it.
1939 Minimal Traditional

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The only thing against it is someone bought into the vinyl window hype. Other than that, it's a really nice place for the money. I hope it retains its character.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Beautiful wood in this house.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

https://archive.org/details/furnishings ... ad/page/72

Bottom left corner, looks like the same tub and at least the same stopper hardware.

As far as the house is concerned, other than the great woodwork to my eye it looks to be a flipper house. It also looks to have lost its roof, maybe a mansard style.
Also it may have been open conceited, that’s the only reason I can see for the bracing posts in the middle of the rooms.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:https://archive.org/details/furnishingsforho00alad/page/72

Bottom left corner, looks like the same tub and at least the same stopper hardware.

As far as the house is concerned, other than the great woodwork to my eye it looks to be a flipper house. It also looks to have lost its roof, maybe a mansard style.
Also it may have been open conceited, that’s the only reason I can see for the bracing posts in the middle of the rooms.

The ziggurat tub feet are very odd, though, and not in the catalog.

The house, to me, has a rather homely exterior so the somewhat lavish interior comes as a surprise. The original details are very good. The updates, well, less so...

Willa

Post by Willa »

That Aladin catalog has everything - from jewelry, to shingles to flatware to the kitchen sink !

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I'd date that tub 15-20 years earlier than the Aladdin catalog. Standing waste drains were fairly common up through the 1920s. The feet aren't really feet at all but solid supports that run the full width of the tub.

What's unusual about that tub more than the supports are the contours of the tub itself. The outer walls are flat, as is the rim, and overall it has a more primitive look to it than tubs of the early 20th Century. Also, it appears to be short and deep - deeper than a standard tub. And it's made entirely of vitreous china, which became less common after about 1910 or so. Cast iron tubs are heavy in their own right, but a vitreous china tub weighs even more. Fill it with water and you'd better hope you have good floor support.

I'd wager this tub was made by J. L. Mott or one of the other "high end" plumbing fixture companies around the turn of the century.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have a claw foot tub sourced and sinks seem not too hard to find but Ive been searching for old toilets and realizing this is something people must have parted with more easily which seems to make them hard to find. I kick myself for not jumping on the wedgewood one I spotted some time ago. all the new ones seem to be low flush and modernistic.
when in Europe I saw lots and they have their own designs. some of those look neat but importing one would be costly.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I think it's also because toilets get so much use that they break down. Also, they waste a lot of water. I pulled a 1952 one out of my house right after I bought it, as it had just started leaking after all these years. That thing was huge. I asked the plumber if I should bother taking it to a salvage yard, but he said it was just too corroded for anyone to want.

He did take the flush handle off of it and put it on my new toilet, though!
1939 Minimal Traditional