Fantastic 1918 Detroit Mansion

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Fantastic 1918 Detroit Mansion

Post by Willa »

https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2019/07/22/1918-italian-renaissance-detroit-mi/

$2.1M USD is over my limit, but I really appreciate how beautifully designed this house is, and how it seems to have survived 101 years completely intact and maintained.

It's quite conservative - but what an opulent yet tasteful beauty. Even the original kitchen is intact, though with new appliances.

1-54ardenpark.jpg
1-54ardenpark.jpg (93.49 KiB) Viewed 562 times

392-54ardenpark.jpg
392-54ardenpark.jpg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 562 times

552-54ardenpark.jpg
552-54ardenpark.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 562 times

47-54ardenpark.jpg
47-54ardenpark.jpg (41.18 KiB) Viewed 562 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Fantastic 1918 Detroit Mansion

Post by phil »

Is the cabinet in the kitchen with butterfly hinges an icebox? looks like the latches are made to close it up tight. That would be a neat way to hide a fridge, leave the door off and make your own!

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

That's (one of) the Fisher mansion(s) - as in the "Body by Fisher" tags that graced GM cars for many years. Fred, one of the Fisher brothers, was the original owner.

One thing I never understood about Detroit - in the 1910s and 1920s, there were 10,000+ square foot palaces like this one being built literally on top of each other. If you look at the picture of the driveway, this house is maybe 20-30 feet from the one next to it. Similarly, the house three blocks away that would later become known as the "Motown mansion" is very close to its neighbors. It's obvious that money was no object to the people who had these houses built. One would think they would have splurged on an extra acre of land or two.

$2.1M is a steal for a house like this, but it also reflects the situation of Detroit and what they've let it become. In just about any other major metro area, this house would easily have an asking price three or four times higher.

I had an aunt and uncle who lived in Detroit from the '40s through the '80s. By the time I was a kid in the '80s, it was well into a death spiral and was getting worse every year. The last summer we went up there (around '88 I believe), I wasn't even allowed out in the yard after 5 PM.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Oh the tile is just *beyond*! <3
There are so many stunning homes in Detroit. I hope the city gets a renaissance.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

what is that tub thing that is in the way of the door opening properly about?

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Phil, I think I remember that being called a standing tub. Basically you stand or squat in it and have a servant pour water over you.
1939 Minimal Traditional

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Nope. It's a foot bath. There were also sitz baths, about this size, that had one side lower. Sitz = sitting.

https://www.thepreservationstation.com/rare-antique-iron-and-porcelain-foot-bath-late-1800s.html

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

That was my second thought! I think I got the standing bath image from an old woodcut that I used to have.
1939 Minimal Traditional

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Willa wrote:Nope. It's a foot bath. There were also sitz baths, about this size, that had one side lower. Sitz = sitting.

https://www.thepreservationstation.com/rare-antique-iron-and-porcelain-foot-bath-late-1800s.html

Yep. Even though they were advertised for about 3 decades (Standard still listed them in the late '20s), they are fairly rare today. Probably didn't sell too many of them.

I have an enameled cast iron clawfoot sitz bath tub that I saved from a scrap metal yard years ago. It was over two thirds buried in mud when I saw it. I want to say the cast date on the bottom was sometime in 1908. Not to be graphic, but the sitz baths were often recommended for "female problems".