I'm Back--and I Need Ideas for Guest Bath for 1884 Farmhouse

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

I'm Back--and I Need Ideas for Guest Bath for 1884 Farmhouse

Post by SouthernLady »

Hey, folks!

It's been a long time since I've been active on here, and I've missed staying in touch with y'all. The last year has been particularly rough in my corner of the world, so there hasn't been much going on at the farmhouse or my blog. My "second mom", whom I cared for during the past 12 years alongside her husband while she battled frontotemporal dementia and the last 4 years with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, had been in horrible health, requiring constant 24/7 care from the two of us. We did good to get 2-3 hours of sleep each night, and we both missed a lot of work while we rotated shifts looking after her at home. Thankfully, our jobs allowed for it. As it was expected long ago, an infection set up and took hold, causing complete organ failure. She passed away on May 24 at sunrise, surrounded by us, right after hearing one of my best friends (and also one of her past music students) singing one of her favorite songs, The Unseen Hand, via computer. It's been a rough whirlwind of funeral planning, tying up loose ends, starting major redecorating in their house to help her husband, and catching up at work. Slowly but surely, we are starting to get used to our "new normal".

That "new normal" is seeing me trying to stay just as busy as before, but with projects instead of caregiving. For me, it's better that I stay as busy as I can with my hands as I adjust. Thankfully, there's lots to do!

I am finishing up the bedroom restoration (which I look forward to sharing, although it is certainly not as grand as Gothichome), and making plans for the guest bath redo. I need your suggestions and advice!

Backstory to the bathroom:

The bathroom was added in the mid-1970s by the last of the original family who owned the house. Two teenage girls and only one old bathroom was the catalyst. Seeking to cause the least amount of damage possible to the original layout of the house, they smushed the little bathroom in the largest upstairs bedroom at the top of the stairs. And I do mean smushed. It's horribly tight! But it works.

Here's the bathroom as it appeared when I first bought the house:

ImageImage

The toilet tank bolts were tightened too much, resulting in a cracked tank that slowly leaked and quietly caused water damage to my bedroom ceiling below. The original tongue and groove ceiling is still there behind what is currently visible, so I am sure that will be a bit of an issue when I remove the modern in my final restoration portion of the bedroom. I removed the laminate flooring and will have some work to do to remove all the glue from the original heart pine floors.

Anyways, the sink was also pretty junky, so both it and the toilet have been removed. Ideally, I would love to take the shower out and do some sort of built in tile shower, but I am not sure if that's something I would like to try to DIY or hire out. Even then, there are sooooo many options I am having trouble selecting a design appropriate for an upper middle class farmhouse in a Colonial Revival/Victorian Folk home (I am not sure exactly what I have).

For certain, I do want to use the original wood floor and I will be removing the acoustic tile to reveal the original tongue and groove ceiling, but everything else is up for change.

I need a new sink, a new toilet, a mirror, new bathroom lighting (it doesn't take much for this room), something appropriate to hold a few linens and guest necessities, and something appropriate for a toilet paper holder. I am even considering finding an antique table or oak toilet that's seen better days and give my hand at creating a sink from that.

Most importantly, I want to look like it all fits in the time period of home as much as possible.

If it's any inspiration, here's a picture of the inside of the small luggage closet in my guest room:

Here's the original wallpaper found in my bedroom:

The green tongue and groove is the original colors used in the house, which is also seen throughout the original woodwork in my house in different variations. The kitchen porch has this same color striping, as well as the parlor ceiling. The house originally had gilt radiators, gilt detailing on the parlor ceiling (some of which still survives), and wallpaper was used everywhere.

SouthernLady

Re: I'm Back--and I Need Ideas for Guest Bath for 1884 Farmhouse

Post by SouthernLady »

Also, for further inspiration (and so you don't have to filter back into my other posts for pictures):

House front before any changes were made:

(The porch was U-shaped, and the house is symmetrical when viewed from the front, including symmetrically-planted English boxwoods.

After changes were made in 1930s/40s:

Front of house when I bought it:

Parlor when the house was first saved:

Parlor in progress:

Parlor a couple of years ago:

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I've always liked the small bathroom off the dressing room at Sagamore Hill (Teddy Roosevelt's residence). It has tongue and groove boards on the walls and ceiling and is a simple affair with a clawfoot tub, toilet, and dry sink. A no-frills 1880s layout.

To see what it looks like, navigate the pictures to the second floor dressing room, then click the back doorway in the picture

https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/cwKShL06r9X2Kg

Your bath might have been installed in the '70s, but it looks like it had a "refresh" around 1995 or so.

I would look for a small, salvaged wall-hung sink. Maybe even what some call a dental sink. A salvaged toilet with a wall-mount tank would also look nice. High or low tank is your choice.

That shower looks like it's jammed in there. I'd almost be tempted to make it a half-bath just to not feel so tight.

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Welcome back, Southern Lady. My sympathies on the death of your second mom. Dementia is a bitch.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southernlady, good to have you back. Sorry to hear about your loss. dementia is such an evil infliction.
With regards to your tiny bathroom dilemma, how about some thing like this
It most definitely is period and you can still buy brand new from the fancy restoration shops. I have seen vintage ones but with a much higher step over pan in the round. The one I posted although period correct, I feel the pan is far to low to keep the splashing water were it’s supposed to be.
As I have mentioned in the past, Gothichome is no grander than all the homes here in the District.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I love the way they are mixing the cold and hot in that little tank before it reaches the showerhead. I need to do my bathroom too. Its one renovation I'm not really looking forward to because it will interrupt things so much.
welcome back SouthernLady, Your house looks beautiful!

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I love that shower! At least to look at; not sure how it would be actually taking a shower in it. It looks quite steampunk with all the pipes and junctions.
Bonnie

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I saw the pictures of your home and thought it was the place we stayed in while traveling through NY.
It's practically a twin. http://www.finchguesthouse.com/

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

My goodness, that Sagamore Hill site gave me a bunch of good ideas!

Southern Lady, my condolences for your loss and the circumstances surrounding it. My mother suffered with dementia before she passed, and it was difficult.

awomanwithahammer wrote:I love that shower! At least to look at; not sure how it would be actually taking a shower in it. It looks quite steampunk with all the pipes and junctions.

I couldn't use that thing, let alone even have it near me. It reminds me too much of an Iron Maiden.
1939 Minimal Traditional

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

SouthernLady wrote:Ideally, I would love to take the shower out and do some sort of built in tile shower, but I am not sure if that's something I would like to try to DIY or hire out. Even then, there are sooooo many options I am having trouble selecting a design appropriate for an upper middle class farmhouse in a Colonial Revival/Victorian Folk home (I am not sure exactly what I have).

You might want to look at the Wedi and Kerdi shower systems. They save a ton of time over a traditional shower pan regardless of whether you contract it out or DYI. A simple white basket weave or hex tile on the floor with a subway tile on the walls would be a classic option.