A small article on linoleum rugs

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

A small article on linoleum rugs

Post by Gothichome »

Wasting time on the internet of things, found this. I believe the author is the same woman that does the bungalow books.
https://www.oldhouseonline.com/.amp/int ... oleum-rugs

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: A small article on linoleum rugs

Post by Willa »

https://www.amazon.com/Linoleum-Jane-Powell-2003-11-12/dp/B01K3KSL6G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=jane+powell+linoleum&qid=1562381492&s=books&sr=1-1

The late Jane Powell was such an excellent resource. She actually wrote a book on the subject. I bought a very cheap remainder copy on ABEBooks some years ago and paid about $ 4.00. It is a glossy hardcover book, probably the only coffee table type book on the subject !

If you are interested in the history of linoleum (genuine linoleum was invented during the victorian period - also related to Linacrusta) and other sheet flooring products like linoleum rugs, then this is the book for you. It's an excellent book for period interior reference, on a neglected subject.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Thanks for sharing.

A little different from the rugs, but I've always liked the patterned linoleum kitchen floors that were at their peak from the '20s up through about the start of WWII.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I've been putting off Ms. Powell's books, but I suppose I can wait a little longer for when I start to do interior work?
1939 Minimal Traditional

awomanwithahammer

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I think I mentioned a couple of years back that I had trespassed inside an abandoned American four-square and found a real linoleum rug nearly intact on the second floor. I'm still sorry I didn't liberate it.
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bonnie, I do remember that. I would think though that it would be too brittle to role up in the middle of the night.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

We had one linoleum rug left in the house when we purchased it. I don’t know how old it was but it was in bad shape, and we eventually got rid of it. It was very brittle.

All of the floors in the upstairs bedrooms seemed to be only finished around the perimeter of the room, leaving the center plain, as if it was expected that there would be some kind of rug or covering in the center of the room. Some of the floors have shellac, some have paint, but the center of the room is lacking finish.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Gothichome wrote:...I would think though that it would be too brittle to role up in the middle of the night.

GREAT visual. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

I had a couple linoleum rugs in this house when I moved in. They were pretty foul looking at that point but I did take photos that I have around here somewhere....