What do you do when you're not working on your house?

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: What do you do when you're not working on your house?

Post by awomanwithahammer »

*sigh* I logged in, wrote a long post thanking everyone for playing, and commenting on the commenters. Hit submit and it disappeared, saying I needed to log in to comment. Not the first time that's happened. You'd think I'd learn to copy it first.

Anyway, thank you all. It's all so interesting to read about. You're all so well-rounded and creative.
Bonnie

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

awomanwithahammer wrote:*sigh* I logged in, wrote a long post thanking everyone for playing, and commenting on the commenters. Hit submit and it disappeared, saying I needed to log in to comment. Not the first time that's happened. You'd think I'd learn to copy it first.

Anyway, thank you all. It's all so interesting to read about. You're all so well-rounded and creative.

I did the same yesterday, so I will try and post it again.
After graduating college in 1981 I started working as a manufacturers representative with my dad, brother and cousin. Sometime in 1985 I purchased the sales business of a retiring representative, hiring a small team of sales people. I continued to work both jobs, then my father retired in 1994. My brother and I expanded the sales business at that point to included a more diverse range of products. Then in 1997 I started a wholesale manufacturing company in 1998 got married to my artist wife where we combined our talents and expanded the product line to include 2000 items. We had 30 subcontractors working at home making various products. Those were long hours and often 7 days a week. We had 20+ sales people selling across the company it was frantic. The internet started to hit our small retailers so we refocused toward shops in tourist areas. We let the sales reps go in 2004 and began to slow down a bit. I closed the manufacturers rep business in late 2007, which meant more time home and more getting work done on old house #3. Fast forward to 2014 our neighbor made us a good offer to buy our farmhouse and property, so we sold. We bought our current home two days after closing on our former home. Then moved 130 miles north to the northern White Mountains of NH. I'm now mostly retired, fly fishing, running on mountain trails or gardening in good weather. Still working on the house all the time it seems too. During the winter I alpine ski almost everyday. Currently I am just starting on the living room in the house. I am going to try and do the room in stages. Phil gave some good suggestions on moving some of the heavy furniture around a few months ago.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

NHguy, you're probably up near me! Do you ever ski at Jay? I haven't skiied in about 20 years, but one of the reasons I moved here is to take it up again.
1939 Minimal Traditional

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

GinaC wrote:NHguy, you're probably up near me! Do you ever ski at Jay? I haven't skiied in about 20 years, but one of the reasons I moved here is to take it up again.

My 51st day and last day of skiing for 2019 was at Jay. I think it was mid April. I have a season pass for Bretton Woods and Cannon, both are 30 minutes south of me. I hadn't skied since 1/98, then a friend came up in mid January this year and dragged me skiing, I was hooked again. The new skis and boots are much easier to ski than my old equipment. My mother taught me to ski when I was six and I skied until I was 37. Skiing was one of the reasons I moved to NH back in 1983. Jay Peak reminds me of Cannon Mtn. with lots of narrow trails only Jay Peak has three times the amount of terrain.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

awomanwithahammer wrote:*sigh* I logged in, wrote a long post thanking everyone for playing, and commenting on the commenters. Hit submit and it disappeared, saying I needed to log in to comment. Not the first time that's happened. You'd think I'd learn to copy it first.

If you hit the post button and a login screen occurs, look at that as a warning!

Instead of logging in, hit the back button in your browser, then you can copy the text, then log in, and then hit paste. This way you won't be re-typing your post.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Thank you, Phil!
Bonnie

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

nhguy wrote:My 51st day and last day of skiing for 2019 was at Jay. I think it was mid April. I have a season pass for Bretton Woods and Cannon, both are 30 minutes south of me. I hadn't skied since 1/98, then a friend came up in mid January this year and dragged me skiing, I was hooked again. The new skis and boots are much easier to ski than my old equipment. My mother taught me to ski when I was six and I skied until I was 37. Skiing was one of the reasons I moved to NH back in 1983. Jay Peak reminds me of Cannon Mtn. with lots of narrow trails only Jay Peak has three times the amount of terrain.

Yes, my new neighbor said that I'll have a much easier time getting back into it since the new technology is so good. I'm in Newport, very close to Jay Peak. :)

I learned how to ski in my 20's when I lived in upstate NY on the very icy local slopes. When I came to Vermont the first time to ski at Killington, that's when I decided that one day it was going to be my home state. Then I went to Montreal for the Grand Prix and fell in love with Quebec. So in 2017 I looked at a map and said, "Look at that big lake!" and here I am. It is a dream come true.
1939 Minimal Traditional

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

GinaC wrote:
nhguy wrote:My 51st day and last day of skiing for 2019 was at Jay. I think it was mid April. I have a season pass for Bretton Woods and Cannon, both are 30 minutes south of me. I hadn't skied since 1/98, then a friend came up in mid January this year and dragged me skiing, I was hooked again. The new skis and boots are much easier to ski than my old equipment. My mother taught me to ski when I was six and I skied until I was 37. Skiing was one of the reasons I moved to NH back in 1983. Jay Peak reminds me of Cannon Mtn. with lots of narrow trails only Jay Peak has three times the amount of terrain.

Yes, my new neighbor said that I'll have a much easier time getting back into it since the new technology is so good. I'm in Newport, very close to Jay Peak. :)

I learned how to ski in my 20's when I lived in upstate NY on the very icy local slopes. When I came to Vermont the first time to ski at Killington, that's when I decided that one day it was going to be my home state. Then I went to Montreal for the Grand Prix and fell in love with Quebec. So in 2017 I looked at a map and said, "Look at that big lake!" and here I am. It is a dream come true.

Newport is a nice town. We came through Newport last year on our way home from the Adirondacks. We ate at a little restaurant near that lake. Lancaster is home now, after living in SWNH since 1983. We are outdoor enthusiasts, so this is the perfect jumping off point for canoeing, hiking, fly fishing and so on.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Lord! I'm reading all these profiles looking at all these people around me that know more than I could live long enough to learn!

It's very likely that I'm the dumbest one in here! I am at a lowly watchmaker and former player piano technician. In 1998 when I moved to my little corner of Iowa, there were 15 watchmakers within reasonable driving distance. Today, there's only I. There's a couple of shade-tree mechanics around, but we don't own them..... We just try and be nice to him and fix their screw-ups for as little money as we can.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Neighmond, been a while since your post. Good to know your still about. Your little corner of Iowa slowly emptying into the bigger centres? Other than being to only clockmaker left in town, what have you been up to?