A sad day for old buildings.

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
Gothichome

A sad day for old buildings.

Post by Gothichome »

heartwood

Re: A sad day for old buildings.

Post by heartwood »

people across the globe are mourning...devastating loss.......

there will be blame to go around I imagine...while the fire continued to rage, I heard
suggestions that the fire was connected to the work being done on the building...I will wonder
why there was not a working sprinkler system...

....jade

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

The work was careless. Was there a standby with extinguishers or monitors nearby? The place is surrounded with water, no pumps with hoses on standby? This is the second time a church under restoration in France had its roof burned. You would think that some official would be watching every move carefully, with follow up examinations of the site when workers leave.

At the chemical plant I worked at one mistake and you would have to evacuate the northern half of Broward county. We always had extinguishers and watchers on standby during hot work.

I never leave a candle lit or allow smokers in my tinderbox. Recently I had hot work done on my AC air handler in the attic. My face was in the place watching every move.

Of course investigation not complete, but still....
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

1939 Minimal Traditional

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

So crazy. So much lost. Heartbreaking.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

GinaC wrote:https://imgur.com/gallery/4xI4hhZ

This has been shown to be an erroneous statement. But it would have been a good plan.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Oh, thanks for letting me know! I read that a lumberyard has already donated oak for the beams, so thankfully the lovely Versailles trees will be left intact.
1939 Minimal Traditional

mjt

Post by mjt »

nhguy wrote:It may be connected to this: https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks- ... ue-1370800

Or not.

Can we please keep this site to Old House related things? I'd like to have one place on the internet...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Maybe this should be open to the interpretation of the readers?
I've enjoyed some of the off topic posts as much as the old house posts, after all many are interested in similar things, restoring other items besides houses for example.
People have been able to post about their own projects and wish to share ideas with others who are like minded. I like restoring old cars, machinery and a lot of things and have found many others here do as well. a lot of old house people like collecting old furniture for example or even fridges and lamps and things.

Some are experts in certain fields and it's nice to share knowledge where we can help each other. and as long as it isn't' spam advertising or something I personally don't see harm in it but that's just my take and I can't speak for everyone else here. I know Ive been guilty of venturing off topic or posting too frequently but I think I've also helped some others long the way.. Casey's organ restoration was really interesting to read about and if some have particular knowledge about other things where do we draw the line? or do we need a line drawn?

As soon I saw it on the news I knew it would resonate with the group. maybe it hit home because we had a guy here quite recently that burned down one of our oldest churches after setting several others on fire. Then the ranch boss of the little town with the burned church went missing never to be found , yet at least.
It's early to speculate on the cause of this one or to speculate on conspiracy theories, but I didn't feel it was off topic myself, but maybe others have varied opinions ? I dont think anyone had intention to cause anyone else bad feelings. I found it interesting to hear about the timbers being donated. It would be interesting to see a drawing of the joinery of that roof , I heard it was quite complex.

I interpret it as a general discussion topic but others may valid opinions as well.

District Common
A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)