Junkyards and Planned obsolescence

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Junkyards and Planned obsolescence

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I know this is off topic, but I have a feeling at least a few of you are like me and do your own vehicle repairs. I was looking for a part for my wife's 1979 Jeep CJ-7 and started calling several junkyards in the area. It used to be you could find parts for almost anything from the second half of the 20th century in a salvage yard. Not anymore. Apparently all junkyards in this area are now corporate owned - something that was unheard of a decade or so ago. Two of them told me they don't keep any vehicles older than 2009 in their inventory. After a little prying at one of the numbers I called, come to find out, the same corporation owns them all!!

All junkyards in the area owned by the same company and not stocking parts for any vehicles over 10 years old. I know I'm a conspiracy theorist, but this sounds like a ploy to force people into buying new vehicles. It wouldn't surprise me if one were to do some digging on this corporation and find some ties to one or more of the automakers. During the Great Recession, a lot more people in this area became DIY mechanics and started keeping vehicles longer than they did before. Auto sales really suffered. I could be over-thinking it, but I wonder if this might be a way to strike back.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Junkyards and Planned obsolescence

Post by Manalto »

You may be on to something. After all, business is just another name for opportunism, and if you can manipulate your opportunities by disabling the competition, why not? (Ethics is such a quaint old-fashioned notion.) I just checked eBay and there are 165, 909 entries for 1979 Jeep CJ-7; browsing through (forgive me, I didn't look at all 165,909 entries) most of them aftermarket products but also some parts. Of course, you can't inspect what you intend to buy and you will have to pay shipping but maybe with competition the price will be better?

1918ColonialRevival

Manalto wrote:You may be on to something. After all, business is just another name for opportunism, and if you can manipulate your opportunities by disabling the competition, why not? (Ethics is such a quaint old-fashioned notion.) I just checked eBay and there are 165, 909 entries for 1979 Jeep CJ-7; browsing through (forgive me, I didn't look at all 165,909 entries) most of them aftermarket products but also some parts. Of course, you can't inspect what you intend to buy and you will have to pay shipping but maybe with competition the price will be better?

The problem is, most of the aftermarket parts are from China and made from low quality steel. Designed to fail after a couple years' service. I noticed the same thing when I ordered a new set of Delphi coils for my Silverado. Supposed to be OEM parts, but there on the side of the box is the proverbial "Made in China". I got almost 16 years and 160k miles out of the factory coils. Let's see how long these last....

Speaking of the Jeep, I found a mom and pop junkyard that specializes in pre-1995 Jeep parts. The problem is, it's almost 4 hours away, but I saw enough pictures that I think it will be worth the drive. Shame one has to travel so far to get parts for something that was once so common not long ago.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Another Jeep lover!

I purchased my beloved 2006 Wrangler new in North Carolina, and it has never seen snow. Now that I'm moving to Vermont, I'm thinking about getting a "beater" for the winter months and keeping my baby in the garage until the roads are clear of salt.

I guess it's either that or plan on replacing the floorboards when they inevitably rust out. This adds another wrinkle to that idea, as I'm not looking forward to China-made floorboards. My garage is under the house, so it's heated, which will cause stuff to rust out more quickly. Pressure washing my undercarriage every time I go out will get old fast.
1939 Minimal Traditional

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

ok, don't let me get started on corporate take over of everything! my friend (and half the people in this area) work for Yankee Candle...it started out small with focus on quality products and taking care of employees...now that it's been sold to a huge corporation, it has been taking away benefits and laying people off left and right...it owns Marmot--an outdoor clothing company, Rubbermaid, candy companies, coleman stoves, sharpie, papermate, elmers glue and more...close as you can get to monopolies!! end rant......

gina...there are small repair stations that will spray the underside of your vehicle with used motor or vegetable oil to keep the rust at bay...you may be able to find something on line or call a repair station near where you will be moving...my town in Massachusetts borders Halifax, Vermont...where in VT will you be moving?

good luck with your jeep parts hunting!

...jade

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Thanks, Jade! My house is in Newport.

The guy I bought my house from is the former owner of a high-end automotive service business, and he told me all about the treatment they offer. It's more viscous than regular oil. I'm still nervous about rust, though, since I haven't lived in a snowy area for almost 15 years.
1939 Minimal Traditional

1918ColonialRevival

GinaC wrote:Another Jeep lover!

I purchased my beloved 2006 Wrangler new in North Carolina, and it has never seen snow. Now that I'm moving to Vermont, I'm thinking about getting a "beater" for the winter months and keeping my baby in the garage until the roads are clear of salt.

I guess it's either that or plan on replacing the floorboards when they inevitably rust out. This adds another wrinkle to that idea, as I'm not looking forward to China-made floorboards. My garage is under the house, so it's heated, which will cause stuff to rust out more quickly. Pressure washing my undercarriage every time I go out will get old fast.

I've ordered a couple of patch panels from here:

https://www.classicent.com/jeep/

Much better quality than the Chinese crap being sold at a lot of the 4x4 aftermarket dealers.

GinaC

Post by GinaC »

Great resource, thank you!
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Ive been happy with prices and with shipping from this place
https://www.rockauto.com/
yes lots is made in china but I can also get things like complete distributor with cap and rotor for about 100 so it helps although some parts may be cheaply made.
I fix my own cars, most I've ever paid is about 2000, I have had many volvos. the secret is to just keep buying more.. Ive got a 66 volvo 122 and 89 volvo 240 and 88 volvo 740 wagon , and to fix that I bought a 88 volvo 740 sedan and a 89 volvo 740 sedan , and a boat about the same age.. I'm driving an 88 ford van.. I love the thing , it's simple.

Ive never made payments, or taken a loan on a car and Ive only ever gone to a mechanic maybe 3 times in my life when I was stuck, otherwise I try to keep at least two roadworthy so I can switch if I need to.

the economics work , it's a lot of cars for one yard. new cars are designed with dealer service and they do stuff like make the plastic headlights different each year and cost ridiculous prices, buying headlights for 400.00 is ludicrous.
you used to be able to slip into a gas station and everyone had the same ones , round! its an example of how the auto makers have too much control. the same happens with all parts. many spend a huge part of their budget leasing and on car loans.

I'm a big fan of an auto maker standardizing components and building cars the same for a long time. The automakers do have a hold on consumers and that isn't conspiracy theory, it's reality. Some models were unchanged for a few years so I'd gravitate to those if I had to buy newer stuff.

old VW beetles were a great example of how the manufacturing should work , backwards compatibility , standardized parts, don't overdo the electronics and features just build things basic.
use modern technology, sure.
let aftermarket companies in the market. I'd love to see an electric car with those principles. look how well harley did with it. lots love them because they can bolt on custom aftermarket parts. hasn't hurt Harley obviously.

problem is the automakers have the strength to strangle competition I think that's the crux of the problem. consumers are trained to change cars to be up to date. a car doesn't need to be a fashion statement in my world.

I'm seeing the same effect here. I go to the wrecker and there's nothing there.. just new junk.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

GinaC FWIW my 2006 Rubicon was with me until last year in VT and no rust whatsoever on the floorboards and no undercoating- the transmission lines rusted and one front fender started to rust through but it's still going strong (I sold it to my neighbor). I drove it all year round. I did however park outside in the winter and took it to the car wash each week. It will rust though, so a beater is not a bad idea if it is cherished
Mick...